a build for a friend

Vermino

ok so new setup list

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

MOBO - EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU - Intel Core i5-650 Clarkdale 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80616I5650 - Retail

GPU - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail

PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified ... - Retail

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH - Retail

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Subtotal : $904.93 (will probably do some price shopping for each part if this is a good setup)

I'm sorry but not a huge fan for ATI (bad experience a few times in the past) Is there anything in the NVIDIA line-up that can surpass a 9800 for around the same price? Besides that I feel like this might be a pretty good setup.

I'm sorry, that is a horribly expensive and weak gaming system.

CPU - AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE $105

CPU Cooling - ~$15 - $30

MB - AM3 motherboard ~$50 - $100

GPU - ATI 4850, 5750, or 5770, or Nvidia GTS 250 or GTX 250 ~$100 - $155

HDD - 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 $89

RAM - Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333 CT2KIT25664BA1339 $99

Case - $35

PSU - 550W $55

Lowest price = $548 with current market prices

If you wait around for deals, you can get even lower in prices.

Here's the lowest build I bought with the prices when they were available:

Case and PSU = $60

CPU and MB = $150

RAM = $65

HDD = $76

CPU Cooling = Free Stock heatsink

Price? $351

Add in a $100 GPU, total price would be $451.

What this included?

AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE overclocked to 3.4 GHz stable with good temps even at full load (3 cores)

Crucial 4 GB DDR3 memory (prices have gone up, but great timings)

Motherboard with onboard Nvidia GeForce 8200

1 TB Spinpoint F3

550W PSU and mid-tower case (enough to power a GTX 470)

3 cores > 2 cores for gaming

It would tear your system up in performance for half the price.

AMD Phenom II X3 720BE - $104.99

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 - $109.99

G.Skill 4GB DDR3-1333 - $108.99

Corsair 550VX PSU - $74.99

And in case you want one, a CPU cooler.

Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer - $39.99

The other stuff you've picked out, like the hard drive and video card, will work out just fine. However, I'd suggest a different case that would be much easier on cable mangament, like the Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced for $99.99.

CPU Cooling - ~$15 - $30

Case - $35

PSU - 550W $55

Exactly what I recommended. :lol: Whichever AMD system it is, both would offer phenomenal performance over the i5 650 system. If he wants a good gaming system, you owe it to yourself to check out AMD. They are essentially the kings for low budget gaming rigs.

Yep...no way would I pay newegg's prices for a 650...microcenter or bust.

I don't know where you guys are getting the price differences from...all of the hardware is 'bout the same between platforms. The motherboards are similarly priced..? The CPU is a little premium (mega premium if you pay newegg)

Maybe I've only looked at a couple reviews, but either setup will be more than adequate for gaming needs. Plenty of graphs here (the 661 has a 130MHz bump over the 650): http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_core_i5_661/

Sure looks like the little ol' 650 holds it's own against the AMD quads...oh my! :lol:

Yep...no way would I pay newegg's prices for a 650...microcenter or bust.

I don't know where you guys are getting the price differences from...all of the hardware is 'bout the same between platforms. The motherboards are similarly priced..? The CPU is a little premium (mega premium if you pay newegg)

Maybe I've only looked at a couple reviews, but either setup will be more than adequate for gaming needs. Plenty of graphs here (the 661 has a 130MHz bump over the 650): http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_core_i5_661/

Sure looks like the little ol' 650 holds it's own against the AMD quads...oh my! :lol:

Tom's Hardware did a performance between dual cores, tri cores, and quad cores for gaming performance. It was a pretty good review for a year ago. Now, I'm sure higher Processor speeds are better for gaming, but add in that extra core at that same speed, and you see a 25% boost in gaming performance. Add an extra 4th core, not as much of a jump, though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/multi-...pu,2280-11.html

Tom's Hardware did a performance between dual cores, tri cores, and quad cores for gaming performance. It was a pretty good review for a year ago. Now, I'm sure higher Processor speeds are better for gaming, but add in that extra core at that same speed, and you see a 25% boost in gaming performance. Add an extra 4th core, not as much of a jump, though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/multi-...pu,2280-11.html

I understand why quads are superior (especially with SMP applications and lots of multitasking). I'm simply try to say, at this level of budget...how noticeable will it be for gaming? Looking at processor reviews with gaming performance, I see very little effect on how many cores are there.

If budget was a large factor in a build of mine, I'd say AMD within a heartbeat. I just think the OP should explore all the options and go from there. Ultimately, it ends up being whether or not the builder / end user is happy with the setup. For light to moderate gaming, either platform will do nicely.

I'm not sure about the long-term longevity of the platforms...but that's another discussion :ph34r:

CPU Cooling - ~$15 - $30

Case - $35

PSU - 550W $55

If you wait around for deals, you can get even lower in prices.

Here's the lowest build I bought with the prices when they were available:

Case and PSU = $60

CPU and MB = $150

RAM = $65

HDD = $76

CPU Cooling = Free Stock heatsink

Price? $351

Add in a $100 GPU, total price would be $451.

What this included?

AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE overclocked to 3.4 GHz stable with good temps even at full load (3 cores)

Crucial 4 GB DDR3 memory (prices have gone up, but great timings)

Motherboard with onboard Nvidia GeForce 8200

1 TB Spinpoint F3

550W PSU and mid-tower case (enough to power a GTX 470)

3 cores > 2 cores for gaming

It would tear your system up in performance for half the price.

That setup is similar to mine, and works great for me. I have an XFX ATi 5770 in it and have not had a single problem. Plus, XFX offers a (doulbe) lifetime warranty, if you're worried about it. I haven't tried overclocking my 720 to 3.4, currently its at 3.2 with four cores, good temps (I think the highest I've seen is 61C), I haven't touched the voltage and I'm using the stock heat sink.

$548 for that setup is pretty good, and with an AM3 board, you can always drop in one of the new 6-core or 4-core processors that are coming soon.

ehh i dont want a huge debate going on =).. but all i'm looking for (and my friend is wanting) is something that wont break the bank and is powerful (but aren't we all looking for that? haha) I think El captain might be right tho. See myself, I really don't have a budget - $2,000 in parts for a computer is nothing because I'm on it 10-18 hours a day (i get my money's worth out of it after 3-4 years).

Anyways, I'm happy to get criticism from the community - I just like to put a suggested list (that i think might be the right way to go) and hope for recommendations from gurus than just some OP saying "I need to build a system, anyone have a list" with no thought or even time looking.

I'm still reading up on the AMD chips, but i'm kind-of liking the setup el captain was giving though. I might even build my own if it's a sick setup (need a gaming/HTPC computer for another house).