Hey there.

03artist

Hey there everyone just wanted to say hi. I just built my first rig, I've been into updating and upgrading but never had the money to do a full build so I'm rather happy now :), never got into overclocking but I'm wanting to get in it and just wanted some advice and this place looked the best to get it :). So hi to everyone and I'll put up my specs down below and any advice on O.C. any part of it would be greatly appreciated :). Actually ive messed around with the O.C. software that came with my mobo but i dont know if there is something better i should be using.

Specs.

- NZXT Tempest Blk ATX Mid Tower Case

- ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX Socket AM3 Motherboard

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU (from playing around with the O.C. software that came with the mobo i believe i was running at 3.8 but couldn't really tell a difference except for temp was up just a bit. Was playing all this on crysis at max settings which it will only run about 20 fps :(, thought i was building something good to run it :( lol.)

- Diamond Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCIe w/Dual DVI/HDMI

- Corsair 4096MB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz (2x2048MB)

- XION Power Real 800W ATX Power Supply

- WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G

- HP 24X DVDRW SATA

Well thats what I'm running, I plan on adding another Radeon HD 5770 in crossfire when i get some more cash and add another 4Gbs of ram, but if anyone has messed around with any of the above equip any advice would be greatly appreciated :), i'm browsing around the other postings also trying to learn what I can. But thank you again :).

nick

Glad that you joined us here. Welcome to OCC.

I'm sure that there will be an AMD O/C expert swing by shortly to offer you some guidance on your overclocking. A couple of general thoughts though;

While windows based overclocking has come a long ways since the first ill attempts at "overclocking for the masses" via software, the best overclocking is still done through your BIOS. Use the software to get an idea of where you "might" be stable to run, and then make hard changes in the BIOS.

A second HD 5770 for Crossfire will make a huge difference in your FPS on most game titles :)

yea im very happy to be here, everyone seems to be very helpful and nice lol. yea ill start doing everything through the bios. i wasn't sure about the software that came with it bc like i said i couldn't notice much of a diff and it said it was running at 3.8 and the highest my temp ever got was around 44C but i never could tell a huge diff in gameplay or anything like that.

oh yea i love this case, came with the 6 fans that i can't even hear running lol and it keeps everything so cool and there was a lot of room, may be a bit big for a midsize case i guess but i love it :).

Welcome to OCC!

P.S. Tempest FTW!

welcome to the OCC! nice PC . AMD FTW

Thank you :), I was hoping I did ok on it. Like I said it was my first build and I was trying to keep it around 900$, was trying to do better than my brother lol (he's going to school for computer repairs and what not) he just bought his PC at the store and was saying i was stupid to build one lol, i told him he should no better than that since thats what he's going to school for and he spent about the exact same or atleast i spent the exact same amount of money on my pc as he did and mine blows his away lol, he may have a blu-ray drive and wireless card and he said thats what i should of done bc look at what he got. I will never buy a pc out of the store again im hooked on building em now lol and just how much more you get out of it by building it, power and fun wise lol. and yea I do like the AMD, i was going to get the i7 but that and the mobo for it ran me to around 1300$.