Open Box from Newegg

I was wondering if any of you have gotten an open box product from newegg and if so how was the experience? Good, bad, etc. is it worth taking the risk?

I've had good luck with the NewEgg open box experience - up to and including the purchase of a laptop that had been discounted down to $799. That one really scared me - but when it arrived (except for one small dent in the lid barely noticeable) it was an awesome purchase and I still use it to this day. So based on a $799 crap shoot I can say I was pleasantly surprised. I've also purchased open box motherboards and even printer ink and knock on wood at least to date I haven't had a single bad experience.

I was wondering if any of you have gotten an open box product from newegg and if so how was the experience? Good, bad, etc. is it worth taking the risk?

i've had both good and bad products thru "open box" but then i've had new products that ere doa too. newegg is good about rma's and such with their products. overall id say yes it's worth taking the risk for the savings. having said that, be prepared to acquire the items that are not sent out; like cainuke said...

As everybody else said above. I also have had a good experience on the open box deals. Usually though, you don't get all the accessories that come with it though. I have yet to miss those jacked up sata cables you get with motherboards anyways. If you need the I/O plate, contact the manufacturer and most will sent them out free. Everything so far has worked for me. "Me taps on glass to cover my a**" :thumbs-up:

If you don't already have a significant supply of accessories you may want to go with retail.

Otherwise, open box is awesome. If you don't expect to get anything other than the bare product (which is how they advertise) you will usually be happy with the purchase. It's a good gamble, IMO. I ALWAYS check for open-box and refurbished specials on identical or similar products to what I am thinking about buying. The only exception to this is LCD monitors, and even then I will take the risk if the discount is big enough.

Bought two WD 320 GB hdds. One works fine. The other one didn't. Sent it into WD as a RMA and got a replacement the next week. Both still running good.

I can't say much for my bought "brand new" Seagate 1.5 TB. Crashed 2 times, RMA for a replacement. Ran fine for a year. Then it just crashed last week. I think my raid controller and Seagate hate each other :P.

Edited by Krazyxazn

The company I work for refurbishes all types of electronic consumer returns on a national level. We do gaming consoles, media players, lcds, business phones, blu-ray/dvd players - essentially you name it and we have probably refurbished it. We work for both the manufacturers and the big retailers depending on how their sales contracts are negotiated.

I can tell you for a fact that the four major players in this industry usually put out a refurbished product that is about 75% more likely to work right the first time out of the box than the original manufacturer. Every single refurbished product is 100% stringently tested (versus sampling plans at the factory) to the original design and performance specifications.

Depending on the grade of the refurbishment (A,B,C, etc) you may expect some cosmetic blemishes on the B & C grade refurbs, but the A grades are as-new.

Now there are a lot of fly-by-night outfits out there that "claim" they are peddling "refurbished" products, but you have to be careful and do business with a company that has a good reputation and proven track record - and NewEgg (IMHO) falls into that category.

Open box policies vary from retailer to retailer, but the majority of retailers at least do a basic check of their open box items to ensure that they work and wont arrive DOA.

Bottom line - Open Box from the Egg has worked very good for me on many transactions. If you buy a refurbished product from a reputable vendor you may actually have better luck than if you purchased the product new - not to mention the significant savings to be had.

On one last note - if the refurbishment company is a factory or retailer authorized repair/refurbishment facility - the OEM or Retailer usually honor some type of warranty claim and provide warranty services. For some companies this will be the same as the original warranty, for others it will be for a reduced warranty period.

Regards,

Edited by wevsspot

I've bought two open box mobos from the Egg and have been very happy with both. the first one came complete with all the accessories, discs, manuals, etc. and the only problem I could find was a small slice from a boxcutter on the factory box. The second was also complete, but the manual was in Japanese, and I had to download an english version from the Asus website. I think it was well worth the effort, considering the savings. Just keep in mind, that Neweggs policy is to not expect anything other than the item itself, and any accessories you get with it should be considered an added bonus. If your prepared for that possibilty go for it, if not go full retail.