Coolers for top performance!!!HEY!! this is awsome

:thumbs-up: There r alot of top coolers on the market.Noctua,prolimatech n thermalright n others r tops coolers on the market.but one thing is that most of the top coolers dont come with fans.well its good too.instead of wasting the fans.u can go for a much better quality if u prefer silent or insane air flow.Now this topic r for intel pro users only.sorry for the amd users.this topic is abt cooler tech,compatibility,fans,thermal paste n all related to cooling!!Alot may be using the i5 or i7 processors n may wonder which is good for their likings or their needs.Now im wondering is prolimatech megahalm n megahalm rev.B.The diff is accessories,socket n design.I notice rev.B is covered with stainless steel for appearance.But as i research.stainless steel isnt a good thermal conductor n keeps heats rather than help cool it.look is important but since they use stainless steel fins.the fan u use is covering it.also i bet everyone know abt the resent launching of prolimatech Armageddon.well lets start with Megahalm n Megahalm rev.B first before carrying on with the rest relating to cooling.

Edited by phenix711

Personally the only coolers id want in my system Are: Prolimatech Megashadow, Thermalright TRUE (Black), Xigmatek Thor's Hammer or a Tuniq Tower 120 extreme - see a pattern there anyone? :lol: besides most coolers can be mounted on Intel And an AMD too, with the right mounting bracket ofcourse. What i did to get my True working in Push/Pull in my AMD System:

Found a nice thick and strong AMD Mounting Bracket, then Drilled holes in it which would correspond to where an Intel Xtype clamp Would fit. I then inserted 4 of those motherboard mounting screws that you get inside a case, to reinforece the mounts and to make sure the plastic of the mount didnt shear under the weight of the cooler once it was installed.

I then Sanded the raised towers where the AMD mounting screws fit in, so it would give a tighter fit.. turns out id accidentally sanded too far ( :smack: ) But never fear! My Improvisation skills were as sharp as ever and i used 2 5mm aluminium Headset spacers (spare parts from my bike) ontop of the Heatsink's base.

Finally i was lucky enough to find the 4 Thick mounting screws from my old liquid cooling setup and used them to clamp everything down. I must say it turned out beautifully, and im very proud of it :) when i get a camera ill post some pictures up in my profile. I have no idea why i posted this here but i just thought id tell that story again to anyone who'll listen :lol:

Personally the only coolers id want in my system Are: Prolimatech Megashadow, Thermalright TRUE (Black), Xigmatek Thor's Hammer or a Tuniq Tower 120 extreme - see a pattern there anyone? :lol: besides most coolers can be mounted on Intel And an AMD too, with the right mounting bracket ofcourse. What i did to get my True working in Push/Pull in my AMD System:

Found a nice thick and strong AMD Mounting Bracket, then Drilled holes in it which would correspond to where an Intel Xtype clamp Would fit. I then inserted 4 of those motherboard mounting screws that you get inside a case, to reinforece the mounts and to make sure the plastic of the mount didnt shear under the weight of the cooler once it was installed.

I then Sanded the raised towers where the AMD mounting screws fit in, so it would give a tighter fit.. turns out id accidentally sanded too far ( :smack: ) But never fear! My Improvisation skills were as sharp as ever and i used 2 5mm aluminium Headset spacers (spare parts from my bike) ontop of the Heatsink's base.

Finally i was lucky enough to find the 4 Thick mounting screws from my old liquid cooling setup and used them to clamp everything down. I must say it turned out beautifully, and im very proud of it :) when i get a camera ill post some pictures up in my profile. I have no idea why i posted this here but i just thought id tell that story again to anyone who'll listen :lol:

Ive heard some people mod their coolers before.It take some skill if u understand it well.well,my guru say its not only the cooler if u read from review will determine it performance.he told me that even V10 can outperform megahalm at a certain temp due to the special feature that allow the oins to work.cant remember what its call tho.but he told me that thor hammer is a very good cooler but the thing is that the electroplate it so it reduce its performance.pure copper or aluminum cooler will perform best plus with a HDT surface.Hey why cant megahalm have HDT??!! their new Armageddon cooler isnt that good compare to megahalm.

Ive heard some people mod their coolers before.It take some skill if u understand it well.well,my guru say its not only the cooler if u read from review will determine it performance.he told me that even V10 can outperform megahalm at a certain temp due to the special feature that allow the oins to work.cant remember what its call tho.but he told me that thor hammer is a very good cooler but the thing is that the electroplate it so it reduce its performance.pure copper or aluminum cooler will perform best plus with a HDT surface.Hey why cant megahalm have HDT??!! their new Armageddon cooler isnt that good compare to megahalm.

Ditch your "guru" he's full of crap. Try a V10 and post some #s. The V10 is a steaming pile not worth it's price by half. Just because of clever marketing naming it after an engine doesn't mean you can automatically go fast, fly, or grant wishes.

To the OP

The difference between the old Prolimatech and the new is a different mounting backplate to accomodate 1156 CPUs (as well as still accomodating 1366 and 775 sockets), a 2nd pair of fan clips for mounting 2 fans in a push/pull configuration, and a stainless steel finish on the top fins for asthetic purposes.

I have one of the older Prolimatech Megahalems mounted currently and a new revision B sitting on my desk. Real-world experience not "guru" spewing manure. The stainless steel coating on the top fins won't effect your temperatures. You'll likely not be able to find an older Prolimatech Megahalems new but may find one used. You're overanalyzing the stainless steel coating. It doesn't cover the rest of the cooling fins or heatpipes.

Ditch your "guru" he's full of crap. Try a V10 and post some #s. The V10 is a steaming pile not worth it's price by half. Just because of clever marketing naming it after an engine doesn't mean you can automatically go fast, fly, or grant wishes.

To the OP

The difference between the old Prolimatech and the new is a different mounting backplate to accomodate 1156 CPUs (as well as still accomodating 1366 and 775 sockets), a 2nd pair of fan clips for mounting 2 fans in a push/pull configuration, and a stainless steel finish on the top fins for asthetic purposes.

I have one of the older Prolimatech Megahalems mounted currently and a new revision B sitting on my desk. Real-world experience not "guru" spewing manure. The stainless steel coating on the top fins won't effect your temperatures. You'll likely not be able to find an older Prolimatech Megahalems new but may find one used. You're overanalyzing the stainless steel coating. It doesn't cover the rest of the cooling fins or heatpipes.

Hey thanks but isnt the fins suppose to increase the surface area of the the cooler.thus,im proving the heat release.yeah,the stainless steel is only covering the fin on for looks sake but isnt it important that the fins were made to help release heat.Stainless steel isnt a good metal as it keeps heat instead of helping it to release heat.hmmm,maybe your right.it may not affect the cooling.Since u try it,ill take your word for it.I cant question someone whos has tried it n prove it.Hey thanks alot man.But one thing is that core i5 produce lest heat compare to i7.Not all the best can perform on all types of socket.take core2quad for example.Megahalm perform worst than ocz vendetta 2 on a core 2 quad.

Alot of people say noctua d14 is better,or Thermalright Venomous-X is better or Prolimatech megahalm/megashadow/rev.B.Man who do i believe.One thing i know all r great but that tiny little degree n price says it all.I think megahalm is the best!!you??Oh yeah.im getting a new i5 pc with a MSI p55 gd80 but im scare that the heatsink might get in the way.Oh,im love good hardware but i want to make every penny count on the cooler.Suggestions??

Alot of people say noctua d14 is better,or Thermalright Venomous-X is better or Prolimatech megahalm/megashadow/rev.B.Man who do i believe.One thing i know all r great but that tiny little degree n price says it all.I think megahalm is the best!!you??Oh yeah.im getting a new i5 pc with a MSI p55 gd80 but im scare that the heatsink might get in the way.Oh,im love good hardware but i want to make every penny count on the cooler.Suggestions??

Just curious as to why you think megahalm is the best? Have you tried it or compared test results?

Edited by feetfats

I found THIS in an older thread, it has a few of the HSF's you guys were talking about. Unfortunately I didn't see the Megahalems in that list. Not sure why they didn't test that brand, or how it would compare to the others. As always, temps will differ with each specific build, but is just more information to overload your brain.

I had the V10 lapped,that was the worst cooler for the money . If you dont oc its fine ,but when you start

increasing the voltage it did a poor job. I have the Meg prolimatech with good fans and its doing a great job.