Sign in to follow this  
Crazy_Nate

Time for a HTPC Build

Hopefully you get it fixed quickly Nate. Don't start throwing things against the wall if it doesn't work right away. :lol:

Heh, no worries! I should have put money on the backplate.

It's mega finicky to get on, because...

You have a large heatsink and flexible bracket on from the top. The backplate only goes on in one orientation (our problem that I noticed when we pulled the motherboard out this morning). The retention nuts are attached from the rear. So, it's near impossible to do with one person while trying to make sure it's seated correctly.

Idle temperatures are around 35-38C, with 58-60C full load. Ambient is 78F, heatsink is passive :]

th_Computer_Work_Log002-1.jpgth_Computer_Work_Log003-1.jpgth_Computer_Work_Log004-1.jpgth_Computer_Work_Log005-1.jpg

th_Computer_Work_Log006-1.jpgth_Computer_Work_Log007-1.jpgth_Computer_Work_Log008-1.jpgth_Computer_Work_Log009-1.jpg

A couple of these pics are just to show how tight it is (and a pic or two before the new heatsink went in). There's a bit under a quarter of an inch above the heatsink to the ODD, and the graphics card is probably under 1/16th of an inch from the side of the heatsink (eek). I put one of the anti-vibration strips in there to make sure it doesn't contact the card. Memtest86+...check!!

So, after I've gotten everything tweaked, tested and configured...more trouble :whistling:

I swear, I didn't do anything except change the HT / turboboost settings...

It hangs right as it starts up windows (as it's loading programs) :mellow: Safe mode is ok, but the event viewer isn't particularly helpful. I'm gonna keep playing with it (as I believe it's a windows issue and not a hardware issue).

Anyone know an easy way to isolate which startup it is? I'm thinking it might be creative drivers, but, I dunno. I can start uninstalling things, but that might not be the best way to tackle this :doh:

Guess I'll start simple...time to update the BIOS to the latest revision (1608).

Well, that's nice. It works...but still hangs in windows. Guess it's time to start deleting programs in safe mode... Good thing I don't have many. :thumbsup2:

Ok, so...I nixed the creative stuff, along with zonealarm and flashplayer and coretemp. No trouble yet. :whistling:

Onboard audio still works...for some reason this "X-FI" chip runs on VIA drivers...interesting, eh? Whatever, I'm running toslink / optical out anyways.

That just proves that Creative is trouble. :lol:

What are you running the optical cable in to?

That just proves that Creative is trouble. :lol:

What are you running the optical cable in to?

I've got an older Pioneer receiver that I've got bookshelves connected to. Works quite well. Perhaps in the future I'll get a Xonar Essence and some uber headphones, but...I think that's a little ways off.

Haven't had a problem since (I'm not really sure the exact problem, but something just wasn't initializing properly...and I guess I got it). The updated BIOS was a nice addition - new options, XMP now runs my memory at the rated 1600 MHz (was a max of 1333 before...), and now it fully supports the processor that I'm using. I guess the BIOS that shipped with the motherboard was the original.

Ahhh nice, I want to get a receiver like that. I have some bookshelf speakers already picked out, I just can't decide on the receiver.

Glad to hear its working now, you should get more pics of it and everything. :P Not just showing how tight the space is between the heatsink and video card/ODD.

Ok...

Carrying a 185lb crate + box up two flight of stairs is a lot of work. However, it's worth it :thumbsup:

Before (at its messiest):

post-32176-1277260661518_thumb.jpg

After (nice and clean!):

post-32176-12772606424397_thumb.jpg

My girlfriend would like me to point out that half of the problem was the three computers (and her puny desk) :whistling:

Tiny desks are the worst. I had to leave my mega desk at school because I didn't think I would have room in moving van/parents house.