Sign in to follow this  
Crazy_Nate

Time for a HTPC Build

<!--quoteo(post=1808898:date=May 5 2010, 10:03 AM:name=Silverfox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverfox @ May 5 2010, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you refer to HD audio - are you specifically meaning the multiple channel audio via HDMI? I thought the C200/WDTV Live etc would only down-mix DTS and DTS-MA to 2.0 stereo over HDMI? I've run many files on my PC beforehand, and not had any concerns with audio - particularly DTS-MA. Perhaps I am being simple?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The NMT's will do lossless untouched HD audio (DTS-HDMA and DD-TrueHD) passthrough. That goes for the 100, 110, and 200 series as well as most other NMT manufacturers such as EGreat and others. I'm pretty sure the WD devices don't have a license for it. They will also do HD audio core playback (DD/DTS) and also DTS/DD downsampling to 2.0.

The Live version does have DTS licencing now, but the v1 didn't. No biggie - a remux sorted that out. My problem lies within DTS-MA not being down-sampled to 2.0 via HDMI by the NMTs, so I think the Revo will be a better choice, as it will support more or less all codecs available :)

The Live version does have DTS licencing now, but the v1 didn't. No biggie - a remux sorted that out. My problem lies within DTS-MA not being down-sampled to 2.0 via HDMI by the NMTs, so I think the Revo will be a better choice, as it will support more or less all codecs available :)

*Pulls Hair Out*

What I'm saying is that the WD devices do not have a license for DTS-HDMA and TrueHD. :)

The NMT's CAN downmix DTSHD and TrueHD to stereo as well as DTS and DD. However its not actually downsampling the HD audio but the "core" audio DTS/DD that is contained or hidden inside all HD audio tracks. The NMT's can do everything AND MORE than any other media player out there, I don't care if its WD, Dune, AC-Ryan, Boxee Box, Apple TV, Ect...

*Puts Hair Back In*

Edited by krazypoloc

*Pulls Hair Out*

What I'm saying is that the WD devices do not have a license for DTS-HDMA and TrueHD. :)

The NMT's CAN downmix DTSHD and TrueHD to stereo as well as DTS and DD. However its not actually downsampling the HD audio but the "core" audio DTS/DD that is contained or hidden inside all HD audio tracks. The NMT's can do everything AND MORE than any other media player out there, I don't care if its WD, Dune, AC-Ryan, Boxee Box, Apple TV, Ect...

*Puts Hair Back In*

No need to pull your hair out - it's just not explicitly clear that when a device says it will support DTS over HDMI (i.e. into stereo), that it will or won't support the HD audio formats as well.

Regardless, I have (almost) decided to settle on the Revo 3610, as it is 100% compatible for all formats, where other media players/NMTs will eventually come unstuck. I can also use to bridge the Xbox 360 via ethernet, as well as store my music collection internally and play back via X-Fi, which trumps NMT/media players for music. I'll sell my gen.1 WDTV as a result. Plus, the Revo isn't that much more than the WDTV Live that supports DTS (my only real desire), which was my previous consideration.

I am intrigued though, as to why you feel the PCH is a more rounded product though (versus the Revo), as I'm always open to last minute changes of mind!

No need to pull your hair out - it's just not explicitly clear that when a device says it will support DTS over HDMI (i.e. into stereo), that it will or won't support the HD audio formats as well.

Regardless, I have (almost) decided to settle on the Revo 3610, as it is 100% compatible for all formats, where other media players/NMTs will eventually come unstuck. I can also use to bridge the Xbox 360 via ethernet, as well as store my music collection internally and play back via X-Fi, which trumps NMT/media players for music. I'll sell my gen.1 WDTV as a result. Plus, the Revo isn't that much more than the WDTV Live that supports DTS (my only real desire), which was my previous consideration.

I am intrigued though, as to why you feel the PCH is a more rounded product though (versus the Revo), as I'm always open to last minute changes of mind!

Actually I might have to pick up a Revo for the bedroom system as I have been looking for something that will attach directly to the back of the TV....this would also be very nice to have a keyboard/mouse to use while sitting in bed for web browsing and such.....I would likely install Ubuntu and run Boxee on top of it for the media player front end.

IMO and my personal experience running an HTPC in a high end Home Theater system is a nightmare. I tried for years to get a well oiled machine that plays everything flawlessly with minimal tinkering that anyone can pick up and use, and be able to navigate and play any content that I have with ease. I'm talking easy enough for a 3 year old to operate, as when my friends or girlfriends friends come over and want to use it they can, with ease. There is no solution available to the PC or Mac that is an all in one application that plays everything....Boxee and XBMC are great front ends that play most everything and they work very well and are fairly easy to use. They do not however come even close to playing everything....they don't do BD or HD audio, they also don't do well with really high bitrate files, seems that anything about 30MBps or above they will both have issues with regardless of the hardware used. And there are audio and video anomalies that come up more than I can tolerate as a result of the host OS having a hiccup, or what have you. Then there's the issue of controlling the device...thats an obvious one and there is no graceful solution that works that well to date that I have seen. If you want to play Blurays or HD DVD's you need another program entirely and this requires using either physical disks or "mounting" a backup in the form of an image.....I digress...

You really do have to see the combination of the C-200 and Aeon in action to understand how good it is and can be.

Edited by krazypoloc

Interesting, but I already have a BR player, and I would be content with Media Centre on the assumption that it will pick up the codecs used by MPC-HC (which to date, has never failed to play back anything for me - audio or video). Linux + XBMC + Logitec Remote would be a sensible option for the Revo, but would prefer Windows if I can get away with it, along with a WMC remote (which I am quite fond of). I don't have a 5.1 setup, and likely never will until I own a home in the next few years (I think they are a bit overkill for many regular home rooms to be honest), so stick with two floor standing speakers and an amplifier, plus headphone valve amp for night.

My biggest concern is Sigma players giving me more lip sync issues. It's definitely a problem I've seen reported on a number of Sigma based devices (mine is hit and miss).

Interesting, but I already have a BR player, and I would be content with Media Centre on the assumption that it will pick up the codecs used by MPC-HC (which to date, has never failed to play back anything for me - audio or video). Linux + XBMC + Logitec Remote would be a sensible option for the Revo, but would prefer Windows if I can get away with it, along with a WMC remote (which I am quite fond of). I don't have a 5.1 setup, and likely never will until I own a home in the next few years (I think they are a bit overkill for many regular home rooms to be honest), so stick with two floor standing speakers and an amplifier, plus headphone valve amp for night.

My biggest concern is Sigma players giving me more lip sync issues. It's definitely a problem I've seen reported on a number of Sigma based devices (mine is hit and miss).

Sounds like your making a good choice on the Revo then. I WOULD NOT use Windows Media Center. Take my advice and give Boxee a try. It has IMDB scraping built in and will automatically build you a nice catalog with box covers for your movies and TV shows and is incredibly good with ease of navigation and content offered as you can stream from Hulu and other sites from inside the app. And what could it hurt its free.......

With the latest firmware they fixed 99% of the lip sync issues on the 200 series PCH's. I would concur that the 200's had MAJOR lip sync issues when they released but they are fixed for all my files at this point.

Sorry Crazy_Nate we have completely obliterated your thread. :)

Edited by krazypoloc

Word is that XBMC will support GPU acceleration within Windows at the next update (a 5 second search tells me). I'll give them all a try and see which plays best for me.

Sorry Crazy_Nate we have completely obliterated your thread. :)

No worries, I get free bumps :cheers:

Just ordered:

Fan Screws - Black

4 x 80 mm Fan Grill - Black

Bunch of Spiral Wrap

Thermalright AXP-140 Heatsink + AXP-LGA1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit

Perf-pc's is pretty fast. I'll probably see it early next week :whistling:

So, I might as well update the progress of this build. My new job has kept me pretty busy. I got the heatsink in on Tuesday, and installed it around Wednesday. It's an especially tight fit...mainly width - the heatsink is awfully close to the top PCIe slot. I stuck one of the anti-vibration strips on so I didn't contact the back of the card with the heatsink.

Once I got it all buttoned up, it keeps boot cycling...every couple seconds :vmad:

I haven't had much time to troubleshoot, but...I tried to check if there was a failsafe for the CPU fan (new heatsink is running passive right now), no dice. I also removed all of the unnecessary connections, and even the graphics card. Still cycles. Looks like I'm rippin' it apart this weekend.

Well...I'm sure I'll get to it after the festivities, that is :]

So, I might as well update the progress of this build. My new job has kept me pretty busy. I got the heatsink in on Tuesday, and installed it around Wednesday. It's an especially tight fit...mainly width - the heatsink is awfully close to the top PCIe slot. I stuck one of the anti-vibration strips on so I didn't contact the back of the card with the heatsink.

Once I got it all buttoned up, it keeps boot cycling...every couple seconds :vmad:

I haven't had much time to troubleshoot, but...I tried to check if there was a failsafe for the CPU fan (new heatsink is running passive right now), no dice. I also removed all of the unnecessary connections, and even the graphics card. Still cycles. Looks like I'm rippin' it apart this weekend.

Well...I'm sure I'll get to it after the festivities, that is :]

That sucks...sorry to hear it.

Yeah, we'll find out sooner or later...it might be the backplate touching something it shouldn't.

Stay tuned...I'll have some pictures up later :popcorn: