Sign in to follow this  
Crazy_Nate

Time for a HTPC Build

Ah, it's done for a little while...until I get a new heatsink. The bloody intel one sucks. I hate pushpins. ~35C idle...and it was getting near 80C load. UGH. Stress testing can wait.

Thermalright AXP 140 it is. If it doesn't fit all the way, I'll file the corners of the fins down. :lol:

My g/f rightly dubbed teh power supply "medusa". What a mess, eh? At least I managed to get the area around the motherboard nice and clean. It shouldn't be too bad to rip apart to put the bolt through kit on with the new heatsink.

I'll have to look into boxee, thanks! I'll eventually get it together as a HTPC, and I'll probably come looking for more programs to do what I want. The terabyte hard drive should hold me for a little while.

post-32176-1273030208_thumb.jpg

post-32176-1273030237_thumb.jpg

post-32176-1273030259_thumb.jpg

well mine will be done & complete tomorrow!

you may of won the battle, but i will win the war!

well mine will be done & complete tomorrow!

you may of won the battle, but i will win the war!

I demand that you remove your Grammar Police badge and hand it in. Immediately.

Shame on you.

lol, when i say it in my head it sounds like "may've" i guess my fingers got confused and type "may of" instead

my dearest and sincerest apologies !

:lol:

lol, when i say it in my head it sounds like "may've" i guess my fingers got confused and type "may of" instead

my dearest and sincerest apologies !

:lol:

Every leader has some sort of review committee. Your first warning. I'm watching you ...

Nice choice on the CPU cooler. It should fit easily in that case as that case looks taller than my old HTPC case. The AXP 140 does an incredibly good job of cooling.....I had a Q8200 @3ghz in a very cramped case and the temps were incredibly low with a 140mm Yate Loon fan (45c load).

HPIM0208.jpg

Edited by krazypoloc

The Popcorn Hour 200 series has gotten most of the bugs worked out at this point. I have a C-200 and an Egreat M34A. Both stream full Bluray remuxes (m2ts 50GB files) and all my mkv's off my file server without so much as a hiccup. I have over 800 HD files and both NMT's play everything flawlessly.

With the combination of YAMJ this is an unbeatable combo.

There are alternatives like XBMC and Boxee that run on a PC or ION platform but IMO the Popcorn Hours are the most complete package to date. Also they have the ability to play back HD audio flawlessly which is a must for me.

PM me and/or start a new thread if you have questions as I don't want to hijack Nate's lovely thread. :)

It's okay, the topic is relevant. And free bumps for Nate ;)

The PCH uses the same processing chip as the WDTV Live, and the advantage I can see of the ION/Atom combo, is the codec pack compatibility that a media tank can't guarantee (as well as being a regular PC to boot). The Sigma chip is having some lip sync issues for me on certain files, but not others, so I am loathed to get the PCH because of this. It otherwise looks nice and supports internal drives, which would be ideal. XBMC on the Revo is meant to be a blinder!

These chaps have some nice builds going on :) Shame I can't quite justify it yet. Afford and justify. Never have the two been so far apart in my life.

It's okay, the topic is relevant. And free bumps for Nate ;)

The PCH uses the same processing chip as the WDTV Live, and the advantage I can see of the ION/Atom combo, is the codec pack compatibility that a media tank can't guarantee (as well as being a regular PC to boot). The Sigma chip is having some lip sync issues for me on certain files, but not others, so I am loathed to get the PCH because of this. It otherwise looks nice and supports internal drives, which would be ideal. XBMC on the Revo is meant to be a blinder!

These chaps have some nice builds going on :) Shame I can't quite justify it yet. Afford and justify. Never have the two been so far apart in my life.

The WDTV live and the PCH 200 series have the same chip manufacturer (Sigma) but certainly not the same chip(SMP8635 vs SMP8643). Also the two run on completely different middleware as well as the 200 series running on brand new internal media decoders. I ditched the HTPC route in favor of these Set Top box types and certainly don't regret it....maybe when the HTPC's can do HD audio in Boxee or XBMC then I will try out the HTPC market again. After all I do have a PC connected to my main Home Theater for gaming purposes.....and it has Boxee and XBMC installed for when I want to play around.....but for movie and TV show watching the C-200 wins hands down.....I can't say the same for music though.

The WDTV live and the PCH 200 series have the same chip manufacturer (Sigma) but certainly not the same chip(SMP8635 vs SMP8643). Also the two run on completely different middleware as well as the 200 series running on brand new internal media decoders. I ditched the HTPC route in favor of these Set Top box types and certainly don't regret it....maybe when the HTPC's can do HD audio in Boxee or XBMC then I will try out the HTPC market again. After all I do have a PC connected to my main Home Theater for gaming purposes.....and it has Boxee and XBMC installed for when I want to play around.....but for movie and TV show watching the C-200 wins hands down.....I can't say the same for music though.

When you refer to HD audio - are you specifically meaning the multiple channel audio via HDMI? I thought the C200/WDTV Live etc would only down-mix DTS and DTS-MA to 2.0 stereo over HDMI? I've run many files on my PC beforehand, and not had any concerns with audio - particularly DTS-MA. Perhaps I am being simple?

When you refer to HD audio - are you specifically meaning the multiple channel audio via HDMI? I thought the C200/WDTV Live etc would only down-mix DTS and DTS-MA to 2.0 stereo over HDMI? I've run many files on my PC beforehand, and not had any concerns with audio - particularly DTS-MA. Perhaps I am being simple?

The NMT's will do lossless untouched HD audio (DTS-HDMA and DD-TrueHD) passthrough. That goes for the 100, 110, and 200 series as well as most other NMT manufacturers such as EGreat and others. I'm pretty sure the WD devices don't have a license for it. They will also do HD audio core playback (DD/DTS) and also DTS/DD downsampling to 2.0.

Edited by krazypoloc

Nice choice on the CPU cooler. It should fit easily in that case as that case looks taller than my old HTPC case. The AXP 140 does an incredibly good job of cooling.....I had a Q8200 @3ghz in a very cramped case and the temps were incredibly low with a 140mm Yate Loon fan (45c load).

HPIM0208.jpg

That's what I'm going for. The only trouble is going to be height. The DVD / bluray drive and its tray restricts the height to about 80mm (apparently just about what I'm going to be cramming in there with the heatsink). I can probably run passively just fine (the four main fans - two 120mm intake and two 80mm exhaust - are right there). If I decide to fit a fan, it'll probably have to be offset. I'll cross that road when I get there.

I'm really liking the sound of a modular power supply. You guys would really be shocked if you saw how many wires I hit in front of (and on top of) the power supply. The left intake fan is probably only working at 50-60% capacity because if it. :lol:

I'll probably order the heatsink tonight. I really don't think the current heatsink is adequate. At idle, the CPU downclocks and undervolts sufficiently to keep temps down, but...80C at load???

That's what I'm going for. The only trouble is going to be height. The DVD / bluray drive and its tray restricts the height to about 80mm (apparently just about what I'm going to be cramming in there with the heatsink). I can probably run passively just fine (the four main fans - two 120mm intake and two 80mm exhaust - are right there). If I decide to fit a fan, it'll probably have to be offset. I'll cross that road when I get there.

I'm really liking the sound of a modular power supply. You guys would really be shocked if you saw how many wires I hit in front of (and on top of) the power supply. The left intake fan is probably only working at 50-60% capacity because if it. :lol:

I'll probably order the heatsink tonight. I really don't think the current heatsink is adequate. At idle, the CPU downclocks and undervolts sufficiently to keep temps down, but...80C at load???

looks like you didn't research twice & buy once for this thing :P

my modular HX520 and easy to mount & fit H50 fit in my case like a dream :P