Time for a HTPC Build

Crazy_Nate

Nate....

this place might have the switches you are looking for or a cool plate?

http://www.mnpctech.com/Bulgin-Anti-Vandal-Switch-Plate.html

Yeah, I looked there. Sorry, no dice :(

Bill has 22mm switches. I'll just wait...if the current switches break, it'll just force me to get working on it. I don't want to rush this. The lot rate for black anodizing is usually about $100... I'm still debating on how far I'd like to take it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a pretty sweet looking board. Should look very nice in your all black case, can't wait to see it all installed.

Ah well sdy, at least you'll have a six core HTPC. :P

Well, my WDTV is a great alternative to an HTPC, but it's got a few lip sync issues. I know the files are fine, as the laptop plays them flawlessly and WD are now not supporting (seemingly) 1st Gen WDTV players ...

... so I thought about an HTPC some more (thanks Scott) ... and then I thought about the nettops using the Nvidia ION chipsets. Anyone clued up on these? I really want something that can play back mkv files (up to 25GB each). I don't mind having external drives (inevitable), but I just don't know which are the best units at the moment.

The Acer Revo R3610 looks decent ...

/hijack :D

Well, my WDTV is a great alternative to an HTPC, but it's got a few lip sync issues. I know the files are fine, as the laptop plays them flawlessly and WD are now not supporting (seemingly) 1st Gen WDTV players ...

... so I thought about an HTPC some more (thanks Scott) ... and then I thought about the nettops using the Nvidia ION chipsets. Anyone clued up on these? I really want something that can play back mkv files (up to 25GB each). I don't mind having external drives (inevitable), but I just don't know which are the best units at the moment.

The Acer Revo R3610 looks decent ...

/hijack :D

The Popcorn Hour 200 series has gotten most of the bugs worked out at this point. I have a C-200 and an Egreat M34A. Both stream full Bluray remuxes (m2ts 50GB files) and all my mkv's off my file server without so much as a hiccup. I have over 800 HD files and both NMT's play everything flawlessly.

With the combination of YAMJ this is an unbeatable combo.

This is what my front end looks like. :)

YAMJ-1.png

There are alternatives like XBMC and Boxee that run on a PC or ION platform but IMO the Popcorn Hours are the most complete package to date. Also they have the ability to play back HD audio flawlessly which is a must for me.

PM me and/or start a new thread if you have questions as I don't want to hijack Nate's lovely thread. :)

Also Crazy_Nate I would suggest trying out Boxee when you get your box up and running.....its cross platform and can run on top of Linux, Mac, or Windows.

http://www.boxee.tv/

Edited by krazypoloc