CoolMaster

Power Supply Problem?

Had a weird experience today this morning. I was turning on my computer and the computer wouldn't post but the fans were spinning.....but it sounded like the fans would spin up then spin down then spin up then spin down. but nothing ever came on the monitor.

So i restarted ....and it did it again and again.

So eventually I opened up the computer case and just wiggled some cables around (namely the 4 pin motherboard cable) and i pushed in my video card and made sure the SLI power connectors were ok.....then i booted it up again

and it was fine.....

So....any idea what happened?

I tried unplugging the 4 pin mobo connector to see if thats what caused it, but the computer wouldn't even boot.

I unplugged one of the video card connectors, but that wasn't it.

Any idea? was it just a fluke or something? I figured maybe my power supply was going out but im not sure? it's about a 1 year old Antec 650 Watt Truepower.

Bad connection, loose card/plug, poor cable crimp, don't suppose you'll ever know?

If it's an isolated case I wouldn't worry too much but if it happens again then obviuosly your going to have to look into it further.

With power supplies having a MTBF of 100,000 hours or so there's no reason to automatically presume the Antec power supplies on the way out.

See how things go.

Had a weird experience today this morning. I was turning on my computer and the computer wouldn't post but the fans were spinning.....but it sounded like the fans would spin up then spin down then spin up then spin down. but nothing ever came on the monitor.

So i restarted ....and it did it again and again.

So eventually I opened up the computer case and just wiggled some cables around (namely the 4 pin motherboard cable) and i pushed in my video card and made sure the SLI power connectors were ok.....then i booted it up again

and it was fine.....

So....any idea what happened?

I tried unplugging the 4 pin mobo connector to see if thats what caused it, but the computer wouldn't even boot.

I unplugged one of the video card connectors, but that wasn't it.

Any idea? was it just a fluke or something? I figured maybe my power supply was going out but im not sure? it's about a 1 year old Antec 650 Watt Truepower.

I only get that kind of behavior when my overclock is a little too ambitous and voltages need adjusting.

Edited by dihartnell

Ya I mean it hasn't happened again. maybe some cable was just barely loose I guess, because thats the only thing i did?