Professional Overclocking

sack_patrol

I was wondering how all those people that you see on videos and competitions that overclock cpu's for a living get there. Now, I'm guessing that this isn't an average job that you go in the morning oc some cpus, go home and at the end of the month u get ur cash. So how does one get involved in this kind of work? Obviously the people doing this are extremely savy of everything that has to do with overclocking and PC's in general so University is where one should probably start but what after that?

You need to stand apart from others. Also I don't think any of them OverClock for a living. I knew a guy that did all kinds of testing for Mushkin but he still needed his job as a head nurse to keep him afloat, the only real benefit he got from working for Mushkin was he got to see the products before anyone else in return for info on best timings, voltages, max safe limits and chipset compatibility. All of the test systems he had though were all out of his pocket and he had like 20 completely different PC's he used for testing.

If you only have one PC at a time, are an average Overclocker and aren't as savvy as you think you are then you have no chance in being a product tester. Sadly the vast majority of people here are nothing more than average although we all like to believe otherwise.

I don't think that that's it. They have no reason to send anyone free hardware unless they know that it will be beneficial to them as well.

are you that ignorant? when you see "supplied" setups and "provided by" the company its all free.

you don't think they get advertising out of it? thats the whole purpose of it.

I was wondering how all those people that you see on videos and competitions that overclock cpu's for a living get there. Now, I'm guessing that this isn't an average job that you go in the morning oc some cpus, go home and at the end of the month u get ur cash. So how does one get involved in this kind of work? Obviously the people doing this are extremely savy of everything that has to do with overclocking and PC's in general so University is where one should probably start but what after that?

After reading this I looked at the date because I figured it was posted yesterday. I seriously doubt anyone overclocks as a full time job, it is just done for fun. And going to school for overclocking? LOL

There are very very very few that stand out enough to get noticed by the big manufacturers... kingpin and shamino come to mind... there's a couple others too, but that's pretty much it

Sub-zero overclocking isn't as easy as you might think...

There are very very very few that stand out enough to get noticed by the big manufacturers... kingpin and shamino come to mind... there's a couple others too, but that's pretty much it

Sub-zero overclocking isn't as easy as you might think...

:withstupid:

It basically falls into a category of a dream job like a video game tester or making it to the major leagues sports. It takes a lot of time, effort, talent, and luck to get noticed and typically you can't go to college to get a degree in overclocking most colleges will very briefly mention what overclocking in there programs just so someone knows the term and they will discourage you from doing it in any type of environment.

Edited by fire_storm

I don't think that that's it. They have no reason to send anyone free hardware unless they know that it will be beneficial to them as well.

/Facepalm.

Reviewers...

Overclocking is not a particularly good living.

Most of the people who are able to earn a living combine it with another related business which generally creates more income than the overclocking itself. Virtually everyone has a day job that is either related or completley unrelated to computing and overclocking. The few overclockers who devote themselves solely to overclocking make great sacrifices to do so...

Free samples do go to overclockers, and not always the top 100 guys. They often wind up breaking. That's part of the fun.

Most organizations tollerate overclocking and its enthusiast following. Don't think that the guy who gives you a sample is a champion who is doing this because it is great for his career. There are a few exceptions - I think that the top motherboard makers and a couple GPU companies are really serious about overclocking as marketing. AMD does its part.

Considering that these companies might gladly spend that money on more mundane banner adds, online promotions, trade shows, partner marketing, etc. I generally think its great that they choose to give overclockers parts. Also, I think the people in the industry who do it appreciate the technical wizardry and risk factor. It's fun. Working in computing is draining, the product refresh cycle is killer, launching new products every few months is just crazy but that's what we do.

Besides, ultimately, it could lead to something really big. And really important.

Edited by 64NOMIS