Build advice/comments

hierovision

I'm saving up for a new build... and should be able to purchase in a couple months. I just wanted to ping OCC dewds for any comments/concerns/advice regarding the parts. I would also appreciate links to any discounts or deals on the parts if you have any.

The machine in my sig is what I have now in addition to a 1920x1200 LCD. I'm considering moving to a 1680x1050 120Hz lcd a couple months after I have this built.

Case: Silverstone Raven RV02-BW

Power: Enermax Rev85+ 950

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Processor: i7-930

Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14

Memory: G.Skill 1600

SSD: Crucial RealSSD 128GB SATA III

HDD: Seagate 7200.10 250GB

Video: GTX 260 (will run in SLI with current 260)

Network: $15 Rosewill gigabit NIC since the UD3R only comes with one on-board port.

I was going to plop down another $150 for a GTX 470 since I plan to fold with this build, but the price/heat/power thing is a little overwhelming ATM. I will probably wait until the "price" part of that trifecta-of-doom becomes a little more bearable.

I believe I will see much better gains for $180-$200 by running 2 GTX 260's in SLI as opposed to any other option in that price range.

So what do you think?

Is my power supply overkill? Keep in mind I will be running a GTX 470 sometime in the near future, and likely another GTX 470 in SLI sometime after that.

Are there any other SandForce SSD's out there at a better value? I'm not too worried about SSD capacity. Anything at/above 64 will satisfy me. I would prefer SATA III, but if the value is impossible to ignore I will happily go with a SATA II SSD.

Firstly, get a better PSu.. Enermax isn't good enough to SLI GTX470s. A quality PSU like Corsair is good to have.. Around 900W would be good to have for the SLI setup..

I doono much about the SSDs..

As for the HDD get a 500GB-750GB WD or seagate (7200.11) as you like, since the 250GB ones cost much the same..

What games do you play?

SLI setups could have scaling issues, so single GPUs and recommended.. something like the upcoming GTX400/500s if you can wait for the prices to some to sanity..

Firstly, get a better PSu.. Enermax isn't good enough to SLI GTX470s. A quality PSU like Corsair is good to have.. Around 900W would be good to have for the SLI setup..

As for the HDD get a 500GB-750GB WD or seagate (7200.11) as you like, since the 250GB ones cost much the same..

What games do you play?

SLI setups could have scaling issues, so single GPUs and recommended.. something like the upcoming GTX400/500s if you can wait for the prices to some to sanity..

Okay so i pretty much disagree with everything you said.

1. Enermax rev85+ series is great. They are all really really good power supplies. Even the 850w will run GTX 470 SLI without a problem.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=...y5&reid=150

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=...ry&reid=138

2. SLI 260s are a great value at the moment, used you can pick up a second one for ~140. SLI 260s will be roughly equivalent to a GTX 470. SLI scales pretty well over all and is a great option in this situation.

Edit:7200.10s are older hard drives go for a 7200.12 they are faster better drives.

Edited by Bandrew

1. Enermax rev85+ series is great. They are all really really good power supplies. Even the 850w will run GTX 470 SLI without a problem.

2. SLI 260s are a great value at the moment, used you can pick up a second one for ~140. SLI 260s will be roughly equivalent to a GTX 470. SLI scales pretty well over all and is a great option in this situation.

Edit:7200.10s are older hard drives go for a 7200.12 they are faster better drives.

and i agree with everything this guy said.

your build looks great

Sorry, I forgot to mention the 250GB drive is only there because I already own it. I have it about 40% filled after a year or two, so I might just keep it... or swap to a SATA III HDD in the future.

Thanks for the comments.

Why do you need another NIC?

I have an all-in-one that I connect to via ethernet and adding my internet connection that makes two. The UD3R only has one on-board port. I think that's the only major difference between the UD3R and UD5. It's only $15 so I think that's a good alternative to the +$70 for the UD5.

Does anyone regularly use Buy.com for computer components? I'm thinking about getting one of my components from them to save a nice chunk of change, but they seem like a huge corporate we-don't-care reseller to me. I've found positive and negative reviews so I'm on the fence.

What games do you play?

Stopped reading after this point.

My bad.. :unsure: