Over OVER volting my 5970

Danny_75

It's not about need but about want and the need to bench higher.

fair enough, but isnt 1.299 volts already dangerous for a 5970 i mean no matter how high you want to bench.. its not worth ruining a 700 dollar video card or lowering the life. i dont know if thats a dangerous voltage or not it just seems high.. but maybe to get past a bios flash.. or gpu clock tool?

Edited by actionstan

fair enough, but isnt 1.299 volts already dangerous for a 5970 i mean no matter how high you want to bench.. its not worth ruining a 700 dollar video card or lowering the life. i dont know if thats a dangerous voltage or not it just seems high.. but maybe to get past a bios flash.. or gpu clock tool?

Look at his temps. I think it's fair to say that he has quite a bit of room until he gets to the danger zone.

That's a pretty nice score for 1 5970. I got 2 4870X2's in crossfire knocking around 26,000-ish. Have you considered crossfired 5970's or even an Nvidia 260 gtx card for physics to get that score up higher? If it's all about benches and not the money, that's what I'd be looking at.

Edited by Hedghawg71

Look at his temps. I think it's fair to say that he has quite a bit of room until he gets to the danger zone.

Temps mean nothing when overvolting. I have fried both GPUs and CPUs that ran cooler then stock by using too much voltage.

Not when the cards are touted as overclocking cards by AMD. You dont think they would enable something they cant warranty do you? The problem with stock cooling and 1.3 volts you are throttling because of the temperature of the VRM. This happens at stock volts as well if cooling is not optimized.

Strangely I have not killed a GPU or CPU with voltage.......Maybe I am not trying hard enough!

Sorry all (GMT) been in bed :) I have never killed a GPU killed Mobos and CPUs and more Ram than you can imagine.

Anway, Ye actionstan its all about BMs :) I run the card @ stock when playing games (if i play games)

hedghawg in the next mth or so going to add a 8800gt ir a 260 something cheap just for the physics. The thing that stopping me at the min is the condensation! It drips from the cooler so if i had Xfire i would have to make a drip tray or something :)

Have you tried RivaTuner? Maybe it can adjust the voltage past that 1.3V.

BTW, scores with PhysX turned ON are neither considered on the ORB, nor on HwBot. In the OCC 3DMark competition it's the same. Don't get an NVIDIA card only to bench with PhysX.

Have you tried RivaTuner? Maybe it can adjust the voltage past that 1.3V.

BTW, scores with PhysX turned ON are neither considered on the ORB, nor on HwBot. In the OCC 3DMark competition it's the same. Don't get an NVIDIA card only to bench with PhysX.

For some reason Riva will not run correctly no idea why,Stuff is missing and all sorts.

MMmmm might just get a 2nd ATI then was only going to use it to bump up the score and for the odd game. Any ideas on what ATI card ? without spending another $500 :)