Had windows 7, installed XP on separate partition

spartang6

So I had Windows 7 on my primary and only partition. Recently I wanted to install XP in order to use older software. I got all the way through installing XP (slipstreamed SP3 using nlite) to the point where it asks for what partition I wanted to use. I selected the correct one, no doubt about it. But I hit format as NTFS in the next selection.

So it went through installing some other stuff but I don't really think it installed. It was still showing the basic blue screen when it restarted, usually it at least gets to some sort of basic Windows looking thing. Now when I have hard drive as primary booting option it just goes around in a loop. Keeps restarting. Now I went back in with the XP disc and I can still see my old partition. I even checked the hard drive size and it was exactly as I left it. So my information is still on the drive. It just refuses to boot into windows 7, or any windows in fact. Any help here? It would be greatly appreciated.

System:

Athlon X2 240

Gigabyte GA-MA78LM

2gb DDR2 800

WD Caviar Green 500GB

Thats because XP doesn't know about Windows 7. When it installs on any partition it'll also write it's own MBR and leave out Vista or 7. I've never done it, but I do think that it accomodated for Win 98 and ME though because they were older OS's. When you dual boot, you need to install the oldest Windows OS you're using first and then progress from there. I had to install XP in the main partition and then I installed 7 after that and mine boots just fine.

If i'm not mistaken though, you CAN use the Windows 7 disk to repair the startup and it'll redo it with the allowance of XP as well. I made a small mistake when I had XP and Vista dual booted and my XP disk screwed up the boot so it wouldn't see Vista. I then rebooted to the Vista disk and it repaired it. Make sure you choose the REPAIR feature and not install Windows

using the w7 disc worked like a charm. I'm not sure why i didn't try that in the first place. Thanks a bunch.

As for using the xp virtual machine, some of the programs I wanted to run were games, which would not emulate well at all.