dumb question about HTPC and drive trays

I am considering using a HTPC or Media center type case for my new build, but there is one thing I don't understand:

If you rotate the case 90 degrees and the DVD tray is now sitting vertically, how do you put a CD or DVD in the tray without it just falling right out? It seems there is a logical explanation for this, but I can't see it.

Also, any other warnings or considerations as I am considering this option (other than the tight working space)?

thanks

if you look at a tray, you should see clips at NW, NE, SW, SE... these keep the disc vertical during tray load/eject

proper HTPC cases are designed to be horizontal and will have suitably oriented horizontal 5.25" bays (or the ability to change the orientation of some of the bays)

you can buy HTPC or 19" rackmount cases that are horizontal... my HTPC is a 5U rackmount case (can also be a tower) that has rotatable drive cages for three of the 5.25" bays

have u seen the little shuttle cases?

they are expensive but look fun

of course, if you just plan to watch movies you dont want this

if you plan to build an HTPC make sure u get the right graphic card, not noisy, etc.

you may also want a flat CPU heatsink

also, maybe you should get a bluray drive instead of a dvd drive

Edited by potatochobit

thanks for the replies. I see the little nothces that hold in the DVDs now. Seems flimsy, but I guess it works. I am not sure about the cases, but I am thinking the smaller size and nicer looks will do better in my living room. It'll be a pretty simple PC.

I have a Silverstone Grandia GD04B sitting on the floor next to me. It's a very good looking case with three 120mm fans. It's worth looking into if you want a case of the mATX variety :)

I'm going to do a build log of it in the future after some modding, so, stay tuned!