Bank glitch makes man billionare (for a few hours at least)

jlqrb

It would be a surprise to look at your bank and see $88,888,888,888.88! After he told the bank of the error, they froze the entire account, even his funds.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,6452420.story

Edited by jlqrb

..And why did he tell them? I would just have lifted 100 million and moved it to a off-shore account

And thats why you'd end up in prison and the other guy wouldn't :)

If its not yours and you take it I believe thats called stealing :)

I know the vast majority of people including myself would love to entertain the idea of early retirement to a Grade A+++ but hopefully the vast majortity of people would opt to do the right thing because deep down we are all well adjusted upright people . . . *snort* okay, deep down we are all just animals and given the chance to know we would get away scott free we'd all kill at least 3 people, steal what we could and eat a dead person to survive but heres the the great illusion that is modern "Civilization". It's only civilized untill the . hits the fan, then its everyone for themself.

While we know someone is watching over us we will do what we think they think is right to stay out of trouble but I'm waiting for the day the nukes start to fly, see how long it will be untill our modern "civilization" isn't so civilized when that quiet neighbor of yours you used to trust with your life kills you for the half empty bottled water in your childs hands.

pfft go to jail? i didn't add the funds. We are supposed to "listen to the bank" as in we have whatever they say we have.

he didn't commit a crime when it was deposited, and he had NO knowledge it was illegal (he only knew he didn't deposit it)

I would of emptied it and said i thought i thought i won a contest/clearing house.

i'da been long gone in a third world country that doesn't care (time to visit family in mexico! )

pfft go to jail? i didn't add the funds. We are supposed to "listen to the bank" as in we have whatever they say we have.

he didn't commit a crime when it was deposited, and he had NO knowledge it was illegal (he only knew he didn't deposit it)

I would of emptied it and said i thought i thought i won a contest/clearing house.

i'da been long gone in a third world country that doesn't care

Good luck clearing it. You try and transfer 88 billion dollars, or even try and get away with 100 million dollars, they are going to figure out where it came from and cancel it.

pay all bills with basic with checks,

try wiring money out, feds cant touch money sent to bank accnts in other countries

ATM limits,

then start writing personal checks (open second account, cash checks written to self or friend to be cashed on spot)

i've deposited a 100k settlement check before and withdrew over 5k a hour later (ever after being told I had to wait 24hrs to clear)

people have done worse, im sure he could of gotten away with at least 500k (and i could live like a king off that for a while in mexico)

You wouldn't get away with transferring the money out there's probably some fine print some ware that you accepted to when you open an account at that bank that prohibits you from spending money that is wrongfully transferred to your account.

Even if you managed to spend some of the money that was not yours you would probably be required to pay it all back.

Edited by fire_storm

try wiring money out, feds cant touch money sent to bank accnts in other countries

ATM limits,

then start writing personal checks (open second account, cash checks written to self or friend to be cashed on spot)

i've deposited a 100k settlement check before and withdrew over 5k a hour later (ever after being told I had to wait 24hrs to clear)

people have done worse, im sure he could of gotten away with at least 500k (and i could live like a king off that for a while in mexico)

Not saying it couldn't be done. Most people don't think about, well what if the bank messed up and I had a ton of money for a while?

Without thinking about it, generally, people aren't going to know how they could get away with it and would call making sure it was legit. Which, is the right thing to do, but it would be pretty sweet being able to get away with even a good chunk of it.

ATM limits,

I not very sure how your bank works. In most cases when your make withdraws from an account with a check waiting to clear your account goes into overdraft. So if the check does not clear you will own the bank the money with some big interest.

And maybe your right he could have got 500k out before they figured it out but is 500k worth the trouble. Maybe 50mill sure I'll do it but just 500k =S.

Hmm it really depends on what your personal liberty statue has its values leaning torwards :) which hand is outweighing the other? the "$" sign, or the Gavel?

I guess if you noticed something like this you could do nothing. Wait a year while keeping in mind how much money you actually have and and make sure you don't spend more than that but if the money is still there after a year. . . . .

Edited by WARDOZERX