Sign in to follow this  
fcguy

Choosing a video card

I've read FAQ's and tried to educate myself but I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to pick out a video card. I though I might just ask the gurus for their input about which card... or at least certain specs i should look for.

The easy info. I'm looking to spend ~$100. I'd love to be able to SLI/Xfire in the future. I mainly play WoW (please hold the flaming) and would love to be able to play at max settings.

I'm probably going to go for another mobo as well so if you want to suggest combos feel free (LGA 775 only)

EDIT: Max setting in a 25 raid.

Edited by fcguy

i would try to stretch your budget to $130 and get a 5750

also, what res are you gaming @ ?

And i may be mistaken but i'm pretty sure WoW is pretty CPU intensive as well, so dropping in a more powerful CPU should be in your upgrade path as well ;)

And i may be mistaken but i'm pretty sure WoW is pretty CPU intensive as well, so dropping in a more powerful CPU should be in your upgrade path as well ;)

E8400 going to cut it? (with a possible overclock on air)

oh and i can stretch my budget on the video some... ~ means approximately

Just remember that some video cards are single height and some are double, so make sure your PCI-e slots are the right spacing as well as the case you have. Second, some video cards, mid level and up, will require their own power source from the power supply which could mean one 6-pin, two 6-pin, 6 + 8 pin, etc... so depending on your PSU, its power rating, and cables, you may also be limited in which cards you have to choose from unless you upgrade the PSU as well...

A good idea may be to check the Marketplace thread here on OCC to find a good 1 year old model as well you'll get great performance from last years upper models at this years mid level new prices

Just remember that some video cards are single height and some are double, so make sure your PCI-e slots are the right spacing as well as the case you have. Second, some video cards, mid level and up, will require their own power source from the power supply which could mean one 6-pin, two 6-pin, 6 + 8 pin, etc... so depending on your PSU, its power rating, and cables, you may also be limited in which cards you have to choose from unless you upgrade the PSU as well...

A good idea may be to check the Marketplace thread here on OCC to find a good 1 year old model as well you'll get great performance from last years upper models at this years mid level new prices

I'm aware of the basics. Thanks thou.

I'm an avid WoW player and can tell you that you can run any 25man raid with an E8400 non-oc'd on air with no problems. My system also contains 4g DDR2, 4850 1gb x2 in crossfire as well. I play everything on max settings, with the difference that I have a 30" dell monitor that I'm using. I'd take the advice and think about the 5870 to kind of future proof the system you have. If you are only running 2gb of ram, maybe even consider more IF you are using a 64bit system like Vista 64, etc.

i need a new gpu and i was wondering on what one to get. i have a nvidia 7950gt just now and i play games like cod4, need for speed shift, grid and football manager. i was wondering if any of yous could recommend me one , thanks

i need a new gpu and i was wondering on what one to get. i have a nvidia 7950gt just now and i play games like cod4, need for speed shift, grid and football manager. i was wondering if any of yous could recommend me one , thanks

I dont see the point in going for something like a 5750 when you can get a 4870 much cheaper and it will lead the 5750 by a fair margin.Even a 5770 can only just about match a 4870.Im not dissing the cards,just pointing out the facts.If your desperate for DX11 then go for a 5770 at minimum,but im personally not bothered about it atm,or at least until i can afford a 5850.

I'd take the advice and think about the 5870 to kind of future proof the system you have.

lol how are you going to recommend a 5870 when he said hes looking to spend ~$100

easily....since he said he could stretch his budget a bit...not my decision overall...completely up to him....and i meant a 5770..not a 5870...sorry for the mistype...

Edited by jack_of_java

I dont see the point in going for something like a 5750 when you can get a 4870 much cheaper and it will lead the 5750 by a fair margin.Even a 5770 can only just about match a 4870.Im not dissing the cards,just pointing out the facts.If your desperate for DX11 then go for a 5770 at minimum,but im personally not bothered about it atm,or at least until i can afford a 5850.

:withstupid: and the 4870 has been commonly found around $100 lately