Upgrading my monitor, feedback welcome

Kennie

Hey. Since my current monitor is a Fujitsu Siemens C700 17" CRT from 2001, supporting a maximum resolution of 1280x1024 at 60Hz, I sort of feel that, when I buy a new build, I probably will need a new monitor as well.

Since my TV is only a bit newer, but otherwise has the same characteristics, I figured it could be a smart move to get a monitor which is able to act as a TV as well, in case I wanted to watch that medium (I rarely do).

Either way, getting the cheapest monitor isn't probably such a smart move, but I have got little to no knowledge of current flatscreen monitors, so I would need feedback from people who has.

The monitor I have currently found to be the best suitable (1080p, along with the TV option), is the Samsung Syncmaster P2370HD.

From what I've gathered, it should be at least decent, if not really good. But, as I have learned, advise from others is useful in reflecting your thoughts before actually making investments.

So, what do you think? Have I found a ball of over-advertised low-quality junk or a pearl? :)

Cheers,

Kennie

Edited by Kennie

i too recently updated my system and then monitor,and then the wife's. we are big gamers. had ps2 and now x box360, we also have carried it to the computers, 52inch vizio for the living room hooked to the game systems. we sit 12 ft from the big screen and the surround sound is great. the computers are both custom, amd, machines with raydeon graphics cards, running windows xp, and using IZ3D monitors, these are 3D monitors that work on 99 percent of all games, i bought the first monitor on e-bay, for amere 180.00, it took me awhile to figure out how to make it work, but what depth it adds to games is tremendous... since putting mine together, wife immediatly must have, 1 month later, valentines day, i love you honey an d this monitor, wife's got a full retail version, not too bad compared to others, 300.00. 22 inch ,1600 x 1080, this is a passive glasses system that requires a dedicated graphics card with 2 outlet ports. wife's machine is ECS motherboard, raydeon 3870 card, 3.2 gig ddr2 800, 750 ps,XP 32, IZ3D. mines, gigabyte 770udt3, amd 955,raydeon4870, 3.2 gig ddr3 1600,750ps,XP 32, IZ3D. try to get somewhere to see 1. remember its the passive system, the other system is more expensive and uses an active glasses 'shutter' glasses.

Go with this instead

Much better and only a few $$$ more.

My only concern is whether or not it can double as a TV, since my budget is a bit restrained, so if it could be used as a TV (such as having a Scart port for it to fit my digibox). This way I can afford spending a little more money on a new monitor and getting what I consider to be double value (both TV and computer monitor).

The monitor you linked looks really great though, my only problem is that I need it to double-act as a TV in order to justify buying it.

Thanks though. :)

I might have to add that I would prefer a monitor within the 200-300€ price range, which leads to something around 21-23" in size.

The monitor you now linked looks great, but except from the resolution and size, the first monitor you linked seem to be better in terms of quality.

Still, thanks for searching! :) I'm trying to find a better alternative myself as well.

Edit: Another monitor to consider would be the Philips 221T1SB, 240€ here. Its bigger brother, 231T1SB, is 300€.

Edited by Kennie

The resolution is much better? 1920x1200 is better than 1920x1080. But that TV/monitor can do both. Its a monitor and TV in one(HDTV). So for games you getting the higher better resolution and for TV you get the 1080P HD resolution

Well, I guess it is better, but the problem is that I have no use of HDTV, as the Digital TV device I've got has only SCART ports, and the ones with HDMI are rare, as well as expensive. Due to this, when I say I need a monitor which can double as a TV, I mean I need a monitor which has SCART ports, so that I can connect it.

And, like I said, I would prefer something like "as good as cheap as possible", as I don't have unlimited money to spend.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about this.