Dissapointed in D-14 :(

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i took some pics to show you guys how i've been applying it show me what i've been doing wrong.

http://img338.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscf1228nk.jpg

your application is PERFECTLY fine....it does look like you have too much on there though as it looks thick...I would wipe the amount off the heatsink leaving whats on the CPU and remount and then recheck the transfer patch again...

from the marks on the Heatsink it looks like you have a concave CPU...from the outer metal contact marks....if the CPU isnt as flat as it could be THIS will make your temps higher than they should be...

there are many times I have used NO TIM to check temps...if you do this and temps go down then you know you are applying too much TIM...if they go up then the CPU isnt flat....

• 2 months later...

your application is PERFECTLY fine....it does look like you have too much on there though as it looks thick...I would wipe the amount off the heatsink leaving whats on the CPU and remount and then recheck the transfer patch again...

from the marks on the Heatsink it looks like you have a concave CPU...from the outer metal contact marks....if the CPU isnt as flat as it could be THIS will make your temps higher than they should be...

there are many times I have used NO TIM to check temps...if you do this and temps go down then you know you are applying too much TIM...if they go up then the CPU isnt flat....

Turns out you were right :( i have taken pictures with two different heatsink coolers. The D-14 and a Prolimatech Mega Shadow...At first on the Noctua you don't notice the concave shape to the cpu but take a look at the pictures with the MegaShadow it's clear as day that the cpu is not mating perfectly flat like it should i suppose. What can i do guys???? Buy another cpu? the only make 930's now so i doubt ill get my hands on a DO anymore :(

Here are the pictures rather than resize them and paste them here ill just link you all the album please take an in depth look. P.S. Sorry it took me a billion years to respond but i've been depressed with this temp crap and i haven't been motivated to try and fix it so i just left the pc sit for awhile. Thanx!!!

Pictures below:

http://img4.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscf1250m.jpg

My opinion:

1. The pressure of your heatsink when screwed down should make it more flat.

2. Your thermal compound application should be with 3 lines or two thicker lines with some extra at the ends so they cover the edges.

3. I didn't read back to see what thermal compound you're using, but use OCZ Freeze or something similar similar.

My opinion:

1. The pressure of your heatsink when screwed down should make it more flat.

2. Your thermal compound application should be with 3 lines or two thicker lines with some extra at the ends so they cover the edges.

3. I didn't read back to see what thermal compound you're using, but use OCZ Freeze or something similar similar.

1. Should make it more flat? I obviously screw the heatsink down all the way im not that novice. But be that as it may it still heats up the way it does. You can see clearly from the pics it's not flush with the heatsinks.

2.i usually use a small line down the center of the cores and just recently been using a dot method.

3.Using shin-etsu and OCZfreeze.

If your cpu is significantly concave pressure will not help it.

I would go with ccokeman and lap it.

Edit:Said something stupid and after looking on Google found out I was wrong.