Dissapointed in D-14 :(

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you use the NT-H1 this time? Also is your 920 oc'd?

Stock setting since the begining. Nah i haven't tried the paste it comes with yet.

theres something wrong. what are you mounting it with? push pins?

Push pins? Im using the bolt kit it comes with.

did you ever check the "pull-off" of the contact patch....having too much or too little is a big deal... too little will tell you if the CPU is concave and not making contact...

too much works as an insulator...

nice vid...

but do you notice the amount of "pull-off" in each trial application...?

in each one there is too much TIM used and applied...if you have that much pull-off on each part then wipe the Heatsink and reapply and recheck...you want pull off on each peice to be equal but tiny...if that makes sense to you...:)

Seems to be base on the orientation of the heatpipes and how the cores run under the IHS, sdy284 had the same problem and changed the way it ran. Also when running the airflow up hill you are picking up the heat from the back side of the Video card and chipset, If you have not felt the back side of a newer video card after playing a game for a while you would be surprised how warm they get.

My EVGA 780i had that stupid NB basically touching PCI_E 1, after playing a game4-6 or leaving it run overnight the NB felt like it was going to melt (already was warmer than it should of been)

ironically on my GENE, it allows me to run my Main videocard outta the second x16 slot,

so its nice and spaced out, coupled with the CM 840 video air suction thing i shoved on the back to make this case even bigger

its workin' good for meh

Using the NT-H1 draw a very thin line down the center of the i7 920. Also make sure that its bolted down all the way.

The temps you're getting are similar to my idle temps at 4.0GHz

i took some pics to show you guys how i've been applying it show me what i've been doing wrong.

http://img338.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscf1228nk.jpg

I'm not sure about the others, but I apply the thermal paste over the entire upper surface in a thin layer (enough so you don't see any of the metal from the CPU, but no more than the thinnest layer). I use the edge of a credit card. Then I apply the same way over the mount on the heatsink. Works like a charm every time. Others may have different methods.