TropicalPreist

Dissapointed in D-14 :(

I second the remount and change the orientation . I have mine running horizontally and have no problems

I am not challenging this at all but I have an exhaust fan right above my cpu so I pointed my cooler up. In my thinking heat rises so why fight it.

Is there somehow a benefit to running horizontal?

Seems to be base on the orientation of the heatpipes and how the cores run under the IHS, sdy284 had the same problem and changed the way it ran. Also when running the airflow up hill you are picking up the heat from the back side of the Video card and chipset, If you have not felt the back side of a newer video card after playing a game for a while you would be surprised how warm they get.

Seems to be base on the orientation of the heatpipes and how the cores run under the IHS, sdy284 had the same problem and changed the way it ran. Also when running the airflow up hill you are picking up the heat from the back side of the Video card and chipset, If you have not felt the back side of a newer video card after playing a game for a while you would be surprised how warm they get.

i had a problem with that ecs mobo :P with the Asus p6t6 i have now, i have it mounted vertically (since my antec 1200 has the giant top exhaust fan), and since i don't game much, i'm not worried about heat from the GPU :)

Also when running the airflow up hill you are picking up the heat from the back side of the Video card and chipset, If you have not felt the back side of a newer video card after playing a game for a while you would be surprised how warm they get.

Did nobody tell you,,,

First thing in the morning I play some games and then I crack an egg on my upper 4870 :)

I know all about that heat,, lol

Its my own little theory that when my cpu cooler is horizontal then it will still suck in that heat from the vid card etc as it is still above it and still moving air.

but I have developed a new Idea that when the cooler is horizontal it may cool better due to the fact that the fins will lay horizontally thus allowing the heat to rise up out of the fins instead of moving up along the fins when placed vert.

I will have to test this here ,, but I think I am low on TIM and dont really feel like doing anything till I get a better cooler

Edited by feetfats

i just bought the nh-d14 cooler i serously regret ever buying it , my tuniq tower 120 extreme is ne day better than this cooler my temps are in 68 at load at my stock frequency and my tuniq give 48 at load , i dont recommend this cooler ,h50 is better that this .

Edited by joel.monteiro

i just bought the nh-d14 cooler i serously regret ever buying it , my tuniq tower 120 extreme is ne day better than this cooler my temps are in 68 at load at my stock frequency and my tuniq give 48 at load , i dont recommend this cooler ,h50 is better that this .

then you to, have done something wrong. there is NO way that my i7 @ 4Ghz @ 1.36V will run the same temps as your Phenom @ stock settings. Ergo, you mounted it wrong, tighten the mounting brackets all the way, apply a small drop of thermal paste, and try again ;)

my d14 sets vertically and with the center fan broken i still have these temps its 18.6C in the room right now and I used AS5 when i mounted mine

cpu_temp.png

I apply a dab of tim between the size of a grain of rice and a pea depending on my chip. Some are concave especially the Intel chips.

I apply a dab of tim between the size of a grain of rice and a pea depending on my chip. Some are concave especially the Intel chips.

Still can't get it the right idle temp. i should be in the 20's right?

occtemp.png

What type of shin-etsu paste? While applying the paste, keep it warm to spread it more effectively (space heater nearby works like a charm). I noticed on some shin-etsu pastes, this was the case. Once it cools up before you mount your heatsink, you won't get as good a spread than if it was warm.

Still can't get it the right idle temp. i should be in the 20's right?

Did you use the NT-H1 this time? Also is your 920 oc'd?