GTX 480 review and available for Pre-Order.

Rylen

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running a 100% fan speed is gonna produce alot noise no doubt, but no one is gonna do a sound test with the fans of both cards running at 100%; that would be pointless comparison.

Under normal running conditions, and I assume [H] used an auto fan cycle for both cards, the GTX480 sounded much louder than the HD5870.

Edited by werty316

I'm disappointed in the power consumption of these cards. Due to my setup the heat production is of less concern personally. Performance looks pretty good to me for immature drivers, performance will surely improve with new driver releases. I don't like that you have to have 2 cards to run 3 monitor setups. The GTX470 looks to be a good value.

Overall looks like a success to me. I'll be watching to see the rest of their pricepoint lineup and next driver release and how they all compare in games I play-MW2 and BF2 at 1920x1200 resolution.

Figures higher temps and barely beats a dual gpu card. Not really excited about the increased power draw either.
I think it runs to hot and uses to much power, the 480 anyway and cost more than the 5870 and barely beats it somethings.

:withstupid:

Yeah the GTX480 doesn't really look like too much of a winner. But dude its $500 compared to the $700 of the HD5970, how is that dissapointing?(Power and heat, yes its pretty bad there).

I find the GTX470 is the real winner here.

Me personally I think the 480 is well worth it considering its a single gpu card and the 5970 is a dual gpu card. Anyways I just spent $1716.66AU on buying two EVGA GeForce GTX480 1536MB. Say what you like about it but I think its worth the money I just spent. To bad though it won't be shipped until the 14th of next month. :(

contrary to my above agreements :withstupid:

I was just expecting more than what it is the way everyone was talking...

Yeah, kinda sick that even though "look at all the performance it makes for a single core" there's "look at all the power it sucks to make said performance". I digress for I own a 4870x2 haha but still though I owed a nit-pick. I like the 470 though (as I knew I would).

You launch the product but I can't buy it? Me no like.

Also, word is ATI will NOT be doing a price drop. Me no like

Yeah sucks because both cards were priced PERFECTLY. So that no surrounding prices would change. I'd roll with a 470 without question once they come down to my consideration zone.

It's significantly cheaper than a 5970, while beating it occasionally and only falling a little bit short in other cases. I'd say that's pretty damn good, esp. with the apparently huge DX11 advantage.

Regardless, these high-end cards are not where these companies make their money, so let's see when a more budget-conscious fermi card is out. It's all about bang-for-buck, not having the very best numbers. If you remember back to the 6 series days, every single "what gpu should i get?" thread was almost unanimously answered with "6800GT" despite it not being the top card. What it had was great numbers (at the time) for an unbelievable price. That's what we need right now!

My girlfriend still has a Leadtek 7600 GT . It was the budget card to buy in It's day.