AMD?Intel?Which more better

hey dude, i'm from malaysia too and i think amd is much better in term of price/performance ratio when it comes to gaming. and if you're lucky you can get an extra core out of it for free ^_^ if you're only gaming on the pc it's better to spent extra money on gpu than cpu

:thumbs-up: all day long for the Price to Performance ratio arguement, which AMD murders Intel on! Being an AMD fanboy, I almost feel like I switched to the darkside on my i7 build ;)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my experience with both i have found that Intel and AMD cpus don't have much of a difference in performance but a difference in price tag. If you want real value for gaming an AMD cpu would do the job. In the end though, it is true that you have to decide whether you want AMD or Intel.

It's all relative. If you're a budget enthusiast like me, you wait to find the best deals before purchasing. I can get a Phenom II x3 720 BE with an AM3 motherboard bundle for $105 - $155 at MicroCenter (overclocking to 3.2 - 3.4 GHz using the stock heatsink). Or, I can get an i7 930 for $205 at MicroCenter and a $170 x58 motherboard at Newegg (but also spend $86 for a top-of-the-line air cooler - Noctua NH-D14).

That's a difference of $461! You can build 3 AMD systems compared to 1 Intel system (which is what I did).

For gaming rigs, AMD wins hands down. You're only getting at max, 3-4 better FPS in games by having the i7 930 vs the 720 BE. You can better spend the $461 you save on a GPU where the FPS increase would be in the 20 - 40 range.

For workhorse rigs, Intel wins. It can be overclocked higher in speeds (talking about stable 24/7 environments), and performs much faster in multi-threaded applications.

It's really about what you're using your system for, and which CPU covers your needs.

if you wanted really power for the money you should go with the new amd phenom 2 x6 1090t this is amds newest processor with 6 cores it will run you 300 for the black edition and 200 for the regular. amds claim with these chips is you can build an entire system for the price of a single intel 6 core processor costing 1000 dollars. the 6 core amd processor has had great performance reviews and intel can not compete in the price to performance. you can also use almost any am3 asus mother board since most of them have the bios update to support the new cpu. so im saying go with the amd phenom 2 x6 1090t it has great price to performance.

Yea, I'm really excited about the AMD X6 cpu's! I love AMD dropping these on the market for $200 and $300! Competition between Intel and AMD only helps us the consumer in the long run!

AMD vs Intel, It's like Ford vs Chevy, or Honda vs Toyota. Both are good, Each will do some things a little bit better than the other. It just boils down to which one your more comfortable working with, they each have their own idiocycricies.

Amd is a little cheaper, and at this time, doesn't quite have the performance that Intel has in a bleeding edge system.

In an average gaming system the other components in your system, and the way the operating system is configured will have more impact on performance than the choice of your brand of processor.

This is not true:

Intel system:

341283952_07ff22007a.jpg

AMD system:

3144549026_13816d02b1.jpg

I own a both Phenom II 965 and an i7 930. It only cost me $65 more to build my i7 930 so the price difference is minimal. The 930 outperforms the 965 in every category and overclocks much better. The new AMD 6 cores come closer in most categories and do a tad better in a few multi threaded applications. The Intel i7 920 and 930 is still clearly the winner. Take it from someone who owns both. Go i7. AMD's micro-architechture is outdated and inadequate technology. It really is about having the nicest and best performing car or boat! This is my own personal opinion. Do not teach this to young children!

Edited by Drdeath

Intel is way too overused...that's why I don't like it. It's everywhere and it's basically "the casual user's processor" (no offense to the non casual intel users). AMD is way more pro imo cuz it's less used and less popular making it special...at least for me. You'll see Intel in those wimpy DELL notebooks, and you'll see AMD in hardcore gaming systems.

+ intel's logo is super ugly so that's alrdy a win for AMD.

Intel is way too overused...that's why I don't like it. It's everywhere and it's basically "the casual user's processor" (no offense to the non casual intel users). AMD is way more pro imo cuz it's less used and less popular making it special...at least for me. You'll see Intel in those wimpy DELL notebooks, and you'll see AMD in hardcore gaming systems.

+ intel's logo is super ugly so that's alrdy a win for AMD.

????? Most Hardcore gamers use Intel... I don't get it! just busting chops. I enjoyed all my Phenoms (9850,940,950,965) but everything is so faster with my Intel.

Edited by Drdeath

Intel has more under the hood then AMD at this point in time. For gaming the video card will be your best bang for the buck but higher clock speeds do pay dividends. For real work Intel is the way to go!

Dr. we both have the same Intel and AMD cpu's and your absolutely right that the i7 outperforms the AMD in everything! But, from a gaming perspective, the difference is only a very minute FPS gain! So IMO the AMD still wins the Price-to-Performance ratio when the topic is gaming! Video editing and rendering is a completely different story, it's not even close, Intel OWNS!

Also, you must have a Microcenter clsoe by or got a hell of a deal on the i7 930/mobo, cause most people will find it impossible to build an i7 rig for only $65 more than a AMD rig! I grabbed my i7 and MSI mobo on a combo special for just under $350, but I was also in the right place at the right time, with the right store in my area! Everyone doens't have those stores around them :) You see poeple on these forums talking all of the time about not having a Microcenter or Fry's around them :( But, 95% of the time you can Build a quality AMD machine for much much less than you can an Intel!

usually AMD has more bang for the buck, so if your on a tight budget AMD will usually give you the most performance but if your buying top of the line parts and dont really care how much money you have to spend to get them, intel is the way to go. personally i like AMD alot more just because im always short on cash and the slight gain in performance intel offers isnt really worth all the money to me.