The Witcher 2

InCrYsIs

I just rechecked the patch 1.2 read me file and saw that not all the DLC was new missions and it does in fact get installed when you update the game. Some of the content are missions that become available through the main game, not the main menu. Other DLC includes special items that become available from the start of the game and are located in the inventory. I'm not sure though if the items are only included if you start a new game with the latest patch of if they are added no matter where you are in the game.

Doesn't quite bother me since I have to start a new game anyways because I died on Insane in chapter 3. The ''Crash To Desktop'' problem still hasn't been fixed so I haven't played for a while and I'll gladly go though it. Hopefully I don't encounter anymore stupid cut scene deaths.

steam has only updated mine the one time for the 1.1 patch afaik....anyone else using steam update to the 1.2 ?

No more crashes for me since patch 1.2

Hopefully its permanent instead of just getting lucky. Im starting my 2nd play through now

What have you set Texture Downscaling to?

Also the crashes don't appear in the Prologue. I played a bit earlier today from the beginning to check out the DLC from the new patch and I didn't crash at all. It starts when you enter Flotsam.

Edited by sack_patrol

I started playing through the prologue yesterday finally. Its definitely a beautiful game, I got it running on Ultra Settings with Ubersampling disabled... no problems with lag or FPS hangups/crashes.

It certainly is a huge game- in terms of everything there is to learn right off the bat (combat style, items, potions, story line, interactions). I am going to be obliged to take my time with it and soak up everything to really enjoy what I think is a deep game, I can't wait to get into it like I've done with previous RPGs (like Mass Effect 2).

I started off on Normal and found the combat too steep of a learning curve. Switched to 'Easy' and its ridiculously easy- definitely felt like I could have button mashed. It did let me get down the combat style though (I never played Witcher 1), and I plan on turning it up after a couple of quests.

I updated recently, but I don't know which version I'm running off the top of my head. Latest Catalyst drivers for my 5870 (11.5b hotfix) and no crashes though.

I started playing through the prologue yesterday finally. Its definitely a beautiful game, I got it running on Ultra Settings with Ubersampling disabled... no problems with lag or FPS hangups/crashes.

It certainly is a huge game- in terms of everything there is to learn right off the bat (combat style, items, potions, story line, interactions). I am going to be obliged to take my time with it and soak up everything to really enjoy what I think is a deep game, I can't wait to get into it like I've done with previous RPGs (like Mass Effect 2).

I started off on Normal and found the combat too steep of a learning curve. Switched to 'Easy' and its ridiculously easy- definitely felt like I could have button mashed. It did let me get down the combat style though (I never played Witcher 1), and I plan on turning it up after a couple of quests.

I updated recently, but I don't know which version I'm running off the top of my head. Latest Catalyst drivers for my 5870 (11.5b hotfix) and no crashes though.

What have you set the Texture Downscaling to? That's what causes the crashes I think since I didn't get any crashes when I played the game first with it Enabled. Then I learned that it needs to be set to None for the best visuals and that's when I started crashing.

Hmmm I don't know off the top of my head. I just went with whatever the default setting was for 'Ultra'. :unsure:

You can check it though the configurator that's located in the bin folder, but I think that if you just set it to Ultra, it should be set to None.

I dunno... I haven't had the time to check all the options and see what exactly is causing it even though I think that this setting might be it. Hopefully CD Projekt Red will be addressing this in the next patch.

I'm just now starting Chapter 1, but it's been rock-stable for me so far.

I will say that I HATE HATE HATE that the patch just automatically put "epic" items into my inventory. That is not the way to update things. I mean--there is the arguement that if I don't like them, don't use them--but that isn't the point. It really destroyed my sense of immersion and robbed me of the potential excitement at obtaining or crafting better items. What the hell were they thinking?

Also, I hate that they used the word epic. It just seems like an unusually immature adjective for a game that aspires to mature content.

Bruce

After I passed Flotsam, I switched the Texture Downscaling to None and I've been getting almost no crashes at all so I was able to continue without any big issues and now I just got to Chapter 3 on Insane mode. Yay!. Bough a new armor and a scroll for crafting a sword that I don't have the ingredients for and I'm broke.

Just beat the game on insane. Pretty damn nice. Probably won't be playing it again for different endings or whatever since it's quite long, but I did enjoy this quite a bit. I hope they make another Witcher game and make it even better than those that came before it.

I do have some minor cons concerning the story but I don't think it's important since they are very subtle and you don't notice them until after you are finished with the the game and actually sit and think about what happen through out the whole plot. Overall it was well written.

Edited by sack_patrol

After I passed Flotsam, I switched the Texture Downscaling to None and I've been getting almost no crashes at all so I was able to continue without any big issues and now I just got to Chapter 3 on Insane mode. Yay!. Bough a new armor and a scroll for crafting a sword that I don't have the ingredients for and I'm broke.

Dont worry you will get some nice sword drops and armor. I made that sword as well but ended up using something else sometimes. Forget atm sorry. The money values start rising too no worries there.