The Witcher 2

InCrYsIs

It seems that the Ubersampling is causing the huge drop in FPS. If I have it enabled the game runs at 10-20fps, if it's disabled then I have a steady clip of at least 60fps at all times. I haven't checked but there is no lag at all. All the other settings are max. The game still looks good. I hope with some future patches the ubersampling becomes accessible without having a performance drop, otherwise the game will only be playable with it after another generation or two of graphics cards.

lol I've played that game a bunch more on the Insane difficulty and I have to say that it's quite doable indeed. For me at least it's quite smooth and I'm quite sure that I'll survive through the whole thing. Sometimes I have to press esc really quick cuz I'm about to die but I manage to save it in time but it's on rare occasion. The gameplay mechanics are quite good and everything is very fair in the sense that is you die, it's because you were not good enough, not because the game 'cheated' you. For example, the 3 modes of battle modes have been removed for a more fluid system and with enough precision anything can be dodged or killed without it even touching you. Of course you need to also know your limits and don't go against opponents that you sense are too powerful. Signs are also improved and I find them all more useful that in the first game.

Games like Call of Duty on the other hand don't have this fairness in their single player games so on almost any difficulty you are bound to die at least a few times on any difficulty no matter how good you are.

2011-05-20_194033.jpg

Edited by sack_patrol

Im in Flotsam atm , oh and I had to use NvidiaInspecter to get SLI working properly .

Uber sampling enabled and max settings gives me around 50FPS so dont feel bad if a single card cant run it smoothly :P Uber is badly optimised

This is one of the best games I have ever played. The story is cool, I love the combat system and even on normal difficulty I have a challenge. The graphics are awesome and it gives my rig a workout. I just started chapter3. So glad I bought this game. It takes some time to get use to the combat system, but once you do the game becomes much more enjoyable. I also love how in the story there is really no absolute good or evil, rather just shades of gray. That is much more realistic.

Damn it. This insane mode is awesome but I can't beat it... It requires too much time effort and skill learning for something that isn't going to serve any real purpose. It's a single player game so after the first play through there is nothing else to do thus beating the game doesn't yield any reward except the satisfaction of beating it without dying once. Normally I'm very willing to take on this kind of challenge but this is really hard and honestly, it's a waste of time unlike in games like Diablo 2 where playing hardcore has it's rewards and of course it's multiplayer so there's a reason to get better at not dying. I am though quite disappointed that I can't beat the witcher 2 on insane. First game ever that I've not been able to beat on max difficulty.

Good thing I made a save on Hard earlier so that if I died, I didn't have to restart the whole thing, but I'd just continue from the same spot but I won't be able to play on insane. It's possible to do it but you can't save. Basically what I did was I played on Insane and then from the options I changed to Hard, saved, changed back to insane. Now if I want to continue I need to play hard, or I could change to insane but since I can't save there isn't any reason to repeat this process although I find that the combat difficulty on Insane is to my liking. I think that Hard will be easy not to mention that I'm losing a vital element to the experience which is the feeling you get when you enter a fight and know that you might lose it all if you aren't careful. I really love it but no way I'm starting over a single player game for that.

On a side note, I think that the devs made a quite nice save system that unlike Diablo 2's can't be easily cheated. If you die on Insane you can't try and be sneaky and restore a save file that you extracted earlier. It doesn't work, nor reinstalling the game or anything else that basically isn't a hack. They really though of everything when they designed it.

Edited by sack_patrol

Just an FYI to ATI users (especially crossfire users) renaming the witcher2.exe to "CompatAFR-1x1.exe" without the quotes will make the game run a LOT better. Remember this is not the launcher you are renaming but the exe in the bin folder.

The reviews are way mixed with this game. I haven't installed my copy yet. The no healing potion thing sounds like a real problem. So many people give it a 10 and quite a few 5 or less. I wonder why there is such a drastic difference. Usually game player reviews are fairly close in range.

The reviews are way mixed with this game. I haven't installed my copy yet. The no healing potion thing sounds like a real problem. So many people give it a 10 and quite a few 5 or less. I wonder why there is such a drastic difference. Usually game player reviews are fairly close in range.

lol?????? what... that's absolute nonsense. There is absolutely no need for a healing potion. The game is fairly easy with proper usage of signs blocking and attacking. I started again on Insane and I'm past the first boss. It's tough but beatable. On the lower difficulties it's even easier. You still have the Swallow that is a potion which regenerates heath during combat but has to be taken before going into the battle just like any potion. In the first game you could take potions on the go. Anyways, the game is very beatable with the current items and difficulties. Up until now I've only take potions twice. Once time in the prologue and once for the boss but this potion was part of a quest so I had to take it.

I might write up my own review of the game. It's pretty damn good and I think it deserves at least a 9/10 or 4/5 or whatever. My only concern so far is some optimizations for the game and bugs, mostly technical stuff.

This is one of the best games I have ever played. The story is cool, I love the combat system and even on normal difficulty I have a challenge. The graphics are awesome and it gives my rig a workout. I just started chapter3. So glad I bought this game. It takes some time to get use to the combat system, but once you do the game becomes much more enjoyable. I also love how in the story there is really no absolute good or evil, rather just shades of gray. That is much more realistic.

speaking of combat, i'm currently getting my a$$$ kicked by a soldier in flotsam...wth...lol

Oh damn this is the first game I can't seem to play on high... Even Crysis 2 played good on high for my system. I wish I could run this beautiful game on high :(

What do u think needs changing, my cpu or gpu?

CPU: Intel C2Duo @ 3.2ghz

GPU : AMD 5770 HD 1GB

Edited by nickk47

Oh damn this is the first game I can't seem to play on high... Even Crysis 2 played good on high for my system. I wish I could run this beautiful game on high :(

What do u think needs changing, my cpu or gpu?

CPU: Intel C2Duo @ 3.2ghz

GPU : AMD 5770 HD 1GB

The Minimum Requirements

•Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz

•RAM: 1GB Win XP/ 2GB Vista/7

•Graphics: GeForce 8800 512MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)

•HDD Space: 16 GB

The Recommended Requirements•Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD

•RAM: 3GB Win XP/ 4GB Vista/7

•Graphics: GeForce 260 1GB or (HD4850 1GB)

•HDD Space: 16 GB

I would bet that your processor and video card are both an issue.

Edited by InCrYsIs