Narrowing Down Monitor Choices - Input?

I've narrowed my 24" monitor search to these models. I've gone to Best Buy to "LOOK" at a few of these and compare them just to see for myself, but I'll more than likely buy online unless I go for the Samsung XL2370, which is cheaper at Best Buy

The Best Buy sales guy and I got into a small argument about their advertising the XL2370 as an LED monitor. I informed him that the LED is the backlighting and the panel is still LCD and he told me that that was false. I even brought up the Samsung website and showed him the info on my Droid phone and he said that they get their info right from Samsung, so it's advertised correctly. :rolleyes:

Still the same, I couldn't tell much difference between the LED backlit models and the regular LCD's between brands. What I did notice however, what that the LG's and Samsungs blew the ASUS they had out of the water as far as how the screen looked, so I took ASUS out of the equation. They also had an HP monitor that looked fantastic, but it's only digital input is HDMI. It has an analog, but no DVI. I've also had Dell Flat panels and they usually look and work pretty well, not to mention the 24" is back down to $189, so I threw that in the mix as well.

Other factors I'm having a hard time narrowing down are:

1. Response time: 2ms and 5ms is not much difference as far as I'm concearned, but some people make a big deal out of it.

2. Aspect ratio: 16:9 vs 16:10 is a debatable area as well. My current monitor is a 16:10 and I like it, but newer models all seem to be going to 16:9. I don't see too much difference, but I hear some games don't like the 16:9 ratio currently as well as some other programs. I'd like to stick to the 16:10 just to be sure, but options are limited. The ASUS VW266H was 16:10, but after seeing an ASUS at the Best Buy, The viewing angles were awkward and the colors went goofy as I moved left to right. I wasn't impressed with how it looked, although it was a different model.

3. Glossy vs Non Glare: When I went to Best Buy to look at monitors, I saw some glossy ones that looked great and some that were horrible and vise versa with the Non-glare. My current LG has a Glossy screen which bugged the crap out of me at first, but now I don't notice it. It's easier to clean as well.

4. Resolution: Regular, Dynamic, How they get the numbers... BAH! With each company coming up with new ways to make numbers look bigger, I'm not sure how the hell they calculate this stuff. Some of the monitors I thought looked great were 20000:1 and some that were 50000:1 looked iffy. Not sure what to think here...

5. STANDS: This is a big problem for me. Both Samsung and LG have been going to these pencilnecked skinny acryllic pretty stands that make the monitors wobble like bobbleheads. Irratating to say the least.....

Here's the models I'm looking at:

SAMSUNG XL2370-1 Charcoal Gray 23" 2ms $299 at Best Buy

SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER P2570 Glossy Black 24.6" 2ms $299

SAMSUNG P2450H Rose Black 24" 2ms $269 <--- Not sure if I like the "Rose" colored bezel

Samsung 24SW 24" Widescreen LCD 5ms $219

LG E2350V-SN Glossy Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor $269

LG W2453V-PF 24" Widescreen LCD 2ms $249 <--- Leaning on this one right now...

Dell ST2410 24

Well I ordered the Samsung LED one. I can't test it until my birthday(31st, so next Wednesday).

BTW, my current monitor is a 19" samsung and its 3 years old yet its 2ms, and it still works perfectly no dead pixels(So yeah Samsung is really good ;))

If your going with a 16:9 monitor I would say the Samsung 23" LED. I heard the colors on that are amazing! Also it doesn't use much power and is very thin.

I'd go with the Samsung XL2370-1 or the Dell ST2410.

The thing with the contrast ratio is that virtually all the monitors advertise the dynamic contrast ratio. The DCR is used maybe 2% of the time or less, its what the monitor can display but it barely ever does. The one you want to look for is the static contrast, which not too many list openly. Practically every monitor has either an 800:1 or 1000:1 static contrast, which is the norm. This is what the monitor will use in nearly every application. Now, I've seen some monitors advertise a 1000:1 static contrast only to have it turn out to be 500:1 or less. Some of the newer Samsungs in particular had that problem, though I haven't seen if the P series suffer from that problem. The Dells get it nearly spot on, usually 800:1 or better if they are listed at 1000:1. I'm not saying the Samsung LED has that because those are usually a lot better for the contrast, just I've seen the issue with a few other screens from them.

And with the response time, anything under 6ms would be perfectly fine.

D'OH! That T260HD looks tempting... The LG is already out of stock though... I'm leary on refurbs when it comes to monitors. WHO fixed them and how were they fixed? Are they covered under any warranties? These are usually my questions when it comes to refurbished anything

Thanks for the links

Edited by Rokkaholik

D'OH! That T260HD looks tempting... The LG is already out of stock though... I'm leary on refurbs when it comes to monitors. WHO fixed them and how were they fixed? Are they covered under any warranties? These are usually my questions when it comes to refurbished anything

Thanks for the links

yeah I can't comment on the 16:9's you had up since I don't support em :P but good luck. I've personally never had any outsanding issues with refurb equipment. (The only downside is shortened warranty I guess, but I'm very optimistic that what I buy SHOULDN'T break.)