Battle Royale: Corsair H50 vs Noctua NH-D14

R1P5AW

4455135732_bcedd1d22d_o.jpg

I'm currently using the Corsair H-50 and the temps are so-so. I'm in a quest to find the best aftermarket cooler and I picked up a Noctua NH-D14 to see how it fares.

The NH-D14 is coming in the mail in the next few days and I'm going to post the results of multiple stress tests to determine which cooler works the best.

My i7 920 is currently at 4.0GHz at 1.30625 V-core. I want to push this chip further, and until I can do watercooling we're going to need the best cooling solution.

I will be using the manufacturer supplied TIM (Shin-Etsu on H50 and Noctua NT-H1)

Tests:

1. LinX 20 runs problem size 25,000

2. OCCT 1 HR

(using Coretemp to measure CPU temps)

Test subjects:

1. Corsair H50 (mounted as intake with fans in push/pull--stock Corsair fan + XION 120mm)

2. Noctua NH-D14 (with stock fans)

Ambient Temps:

67'F

TEST RESULTS (link to Screenshots):

Corsair H50

OCCT max temps: 76, 73, 72, 68

LinX max temps: 80, 77, 74, 72

Noctua NH-D14

OCCT max temps: 68, 66, 63, 62

LinX max temps: 72, 71, 67, 66

Summary:

The Corsair H50's hottest temp was 80'C while the Noctua NH-D14's hottest temp was 72'C. In all of my stress testing (Intel Burn Test, OCCT, LinX and Prime95) my LinX temps are always the highest, therefore I think that it is the best to point out while testing. Furthermore, the Corsair H-50 is a solid cooler and definitely a space saver, but it did not provide results as good as the Noctua NH-D14.

So...

There you have it...the Noctua NH-D14 is our winner!!

Edited by R1P5AW

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i think h50 will be pretty close making it more bang for buck

Yeah I'm really interested to see the outcome. The H-50 is definitely a space saver but if the Noctua can drop my temps significantly I'm going to keep that to try and OC to 4.2GHz

Wait...stabilization....

Is that when I download more ram and/or fix my bad overclocks?

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=173658

That was the funniest thing I've read all day. Are you going to attempt to compare apples to apples as well-switching fans on the H5o for a true comparison?

That was the funniest thing I've read all day. Are you going to attempt to compare apples to apples as well-switching fans on the H5o for a true comparison?

apples to apples means what comes out of the box. even if the H50 would perform better with Noctua fans, thats not what it comes with. thats comparing apples to candy apples :)

Wait...stabilization....

Is that when I download more ram and/or fix my bad overclocks?

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=173658

Freakin' classic. Really, I don't know what else there is to say other than... pwned? (And believe me, it pains me to use such overplayed gaming pseudo-terms, but really, it's all I'm left with)

R1P5AW, you're my new hero. ;)