Sign in to follow this  
loser12

PC to TV

You said the TV is 1080i. Therefore, the proper resolution from the computer would be 1920x1080.

You'll want to use the component (RGB) in order to get this resolution, as S-video or composite only support standard definition resolutions.

+1, the lower res composite cables will look pretty bad.

thanks for the information. So since I am building a new computer, I just need to get a video card with DVI and a DVI to component (RGB) adapter. That should be easy enough.

Next question. How can I easily switch from my main monitor to the TV? Meaning, I want a "normal" computer with the option of sending either a streaming Youtube video or avi from my PC to the TV without too much hassle, i.e. I don't want to have to unplug my monitor and then plug in the TV.

Many video cards these days have at least two outputs. Just find one that has the right combination of outputs for your needs (i.e. DVI/DVI, DVI/VGA, DVI/HDMI). You'll have a dual monitor setup - but one of the monitors is a TV. Then you'll be able to choose a couple configurations, either cloning the desktop onto both, or expanding the desktop across them. All you'll have to do is switch the TV input.