Rokkaholik

16:9 ***vs*** 16:10

16:9 ***vs*** 16:10  

73 members have voted

1. 1. 16:9 ***vs*** 16:10

• 16:9 Widescreen
    • 16:10 Widescreen
    • 4:3 - Because I'm Old School

I've had five monitors (counting my TV) since I first got a computer. The original was a 4:3 CRT, which I can't say I miss. Of the other four LCD's, only one is 16:9, and it's not the TV. When I was looking to get a new monitor for my desktop I wanted a 16:10, because I like that extra height, but the monitor I now have was a good deal at Newegg and made up for the 16x9 by having a higher resolution that 1920x1080 (it is actually 2048x1152).

I do kind of wish my TV was 16x9 though, because now, when I watch something that has been letterboxed there are two different black bars, one from the letterboxing and one from the TV. At least I can use it as a 16x10 computer monitor when I get a new TV.

16:10 (1920x1200). I like the extra vertical space.

As for arguments for 16:9 stating you're only missing 120 pixels between x1080 and x1200: (premiumgfx)

As both have a width of 1920 pixels, 120 pixels refers to the pixels lost in height for every one pixel in width. Since a display is uniform on each edge, opposing edges meet at 90

Edited by nVidia_Freak

I like 16:9 for it's media advantages, but the extra space with 16:10 is nice.

16:9. It fits my field of view better and with a 42" monitor I'm not short of any kind of space. :lol: As a bonus it's slightly easier to drive than a 16:10 display with similar resolution.

16:10 (1920x1200). I like the extra vertical space.

As for arguments for 16:9 stating you're only missing 120 pixels between x1080 and x1200: (premiumgfx)

As both have a width of 1920 pixels, 120 pixels refers to the pixels lost in height for every one pixel in width. Since a display is uniform on each edge, opposing edges meet at 90

?

I'm pretty sure that insan3 meant that a 16:10 monitor can also run 16:9 just fine.

yeah, 16x9 on 16x10 will just have black bars. duhhhh

It doesn't bother me, but it might some people.

Edited by PingoPongo

16:10 for me because I have a lot of older games andmany have widescreen fixes that work for 16:10 but not 16:9 in most cases. Though I do use my PC more for movies and have only rcently started to consider 16:9. Honestly, if Samsung makes a 16:9 Rose series LCD monitor @ 26" I'll prob make the move to a 16:9.