A_Drone

Need help building i7 3D/rendering workstation

Any and all comments on the build will be more than welcome. Despite my best efforts at research I still need your feedback.

The purpose of the machine will be primarily to function as a 3D/HD video/graphics workstation and secondary to function as a render machine.

Both goals, and especially the second, require the PC to have as much raw computing (CPU) power as humanly possible. The system should also be very stable as it will be running days, sometimes even weeks on end with full load.

BUDGET RANGE: About $1500 or thereabouts. Since I

go for the 930 its better for overclocking and almost the same price,higher clock speeds

Noctua NH-D14 is the way to go and HAF 932 will fit the cooler

Asus P6t is good but old and would go for the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R its a good overclocker and has USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s

5770 is better its more overclockable & less power usage ,better crossfire scaling,DX11

Im using the Seagate 1TB 7200.12 ,its very fast,i would recommend it

if ur going to oc and not crossfire 550W should be more than enough but if ur goin crossfire u will at least need 650-700w

go for the 930 its better for overclocking and almost the same price,higher clock speeds

Noctua NH-D14 is the way to go and HAF 932 will fit the cooler

Asus P6t is good but old and would go for the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R its a good overclocker and has USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s

5770 is better its more overclockable & less power usage ,better crossfire scaling,DX11

Im using the Seagate 1TB 7200.12 ,its very fast,i would recommend it

if ur going to oc and not crossfire 550W should be more than enough but if ur goin crossfire u will at least need 650-700w

I was actually thinking the HAF 922, which is a mid tower. Are you saying I should get the 932, the big tower for the cooler to fit?

Consider the mobo changed to the Gigabyte one as it's in fact a bit cheaper and somewhat better.

IMO

CPU: Go 920. Its cheaper, and in a later revision so likely to reach same or better clocks than the 930.

HSF: Noctua is better. I don't think the CM V10 is up to the job. Prolimatech Megahalems is also great (see my sig) and the Corsair H50 works well.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components...sp?partid=10297

Case: Consider the Coolermaster CM 690 II. A Decent sized midtower will allow you to fit larger cooler, plenty of room to fit bigger cards in future etc. I think the 922 would be too cramped.

Mobo: Agree with Joel, GA-X58A-UD3R is a better choice.

RAM: Should be ok but there is RAM with better timings like CORSAIR CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB (6X2GB) DDR3-1600 CL8 DOMINATOR. About 15% more expensive. Alternatively lots more choice in the 6Gb (3x2Gb) with great timings. Either by two sets of those or buy 1 set now and one set later. Something like, CORSAIR CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 6GB (3X XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHZ) XMSP DDR3

GFX Card: I agree with Joel, 5770 better. Try a MSI Hawk 5770. Overclocks really well, Quiet, lower power needs, DX 11, not too expensive and give a 260 a run for its money

HDD: SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB 32MB 7200RPM SATAII for data drive and WD Caviar Black for OS/Apps drive.

PSU: Corsair TX or HX 650 will be fine for your suggested setup. 750 would be better if planning really big overclock, lots of drives and Xfire.

Normally I would also say go with a 5770 but if you're going to be doing rendering you'll want to go with a Nvidia card for the CUDA.

Normally I would also say go with a 5770 but if you're going to be doing rendering you'll want to go with a Nvidia card for the CUDA.

+1

even a 9800GT would be good if you aren't gonna do a whole lot of gaming, and if you feel like doing cuda you should buy a 4xx series card when they come out

+1

even a 9800GT would be good if you aren't gonna do a whole lot of gaming, and if you feel like doing cuda you should buy a 4xx series card when they come out

+1 for rendering i'll choose Nvidia, you'll got faster than ATI, pick GTX 260.

But, if you can afford workstation GPU, it's better for going to quadro GPU. Because quadro type GPU has better driver for 3D and rendering (that's why it's more expensive than gaming GPU). Many sites have already benchmarked gaming GPU and workstation GPU, and it's show that workstation version outclass the gaming version when they benchmark it to 3D and rendering tipe software.

Go For the 930!

For a cooler i would actually avoid both of those coolers. the titan fenrir is a beast!! it's about 1c off noctuas temp

and its only

IMO

CPU: Go 920. Its cheaper, and in a later revision so likely to reach same or better clocks than the 930.

HSF: Noctua is better. I don't think the CM V10 is up to the job. Prolimatech Megahalems is also great (see my sig) and the Corsair H50 works well.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components...sp?partid=10297

Case: Consider the Coolermaster CM 690 II. A Decent sized midtower will allow you to fit larger cooler, plenty of room to fit bigger cards in future etc. I think the 922 would be too cramped.

Mobo: Agree with Joel, GA-X58A-UD3R is a better choice.

RAM: Should be ok but there is RAM with better timings like CORSAIR CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB (6X2GB) DDR3-1600 CL8 DOMINATOR. About 15% more expensive. Alternatively lots more choice in the 6Gb (3x2Gb) with great timings. Either by two sets of those or buy 1 set now and one set later. Something like, CORSAIR CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 6GB (3X XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHZ) XMSP DDR3

GFX Card: I agree with Joel, 5770 better. Try a MSI Hawk 5770. Overclocks really well, Quiet, lower power needs, DX 11, not too expensive and give a 260 a run for its money

HDD: SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB 32MB 7200RPM SATAII for data drive and WD Caviar Black for OS/Apps drive.

PSU: Corsair TX or HX 650 will be fine for your suggested setup. 750 would be better if planning really big overclock, lots of drives and Xfire.

I'm confused about the HAF 922. It's really the widest case I could find. If I look at the specs of the 922 and the CM 690 it turns out it's a good deal wider. Is this an illusory difference?

Currently I'm going with the following RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1333C7 12 GB, DDR3 - 1333, CL7 7-7-20

I hope that's overclockable.

Now, for the HD's I was thinking 2 SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB's. But you're saying a WD Caviar Black is faster so should be used for OS/apps drive? I was under the impression the Samsung was slightly faster.

Thanks for the excellent feedback so far.

I'm confused about the HAF 922. It's really the widest case I could find. If I look at the specs of the 922 and the CM 690 it turns out it's a good deal wider. Is this an illusory difference?

Currently I'm going with the following RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1333C7 12 GB, DDR3 - 1333, CL7 7-7-20

I hope that's overclockable.

Now, for the HD's I was thinking 2 SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB's. But you're saying a WD Caviar Black is faster so should be used for OS/apps drive? I was under the impression the Samsung was slightly faster.

Thanks for the excellent feedback so far.

oops, Sorry I was reading the dimensions to the sniper case, not the CM690 II. Actually when I looked closer I found two sets of conflicting dimensions for the HAF922 on my local computer stores website, so I leave it to you to decide which is true.

One page had this: (W)230 x (H)545 x (D)575 mm (smaller than the sniper) and another page on the same site had this, W253 x H502 x D563 mm (Same as the sniper), so Im not sure which is the correct one.

Sorry about the confusion. :-)

My experience with Corsair Ram has always been a good one. Those are pretty tight timings so as you overclock you may have to loosen them up a little but I was able to push my Corsair memory quite hard at same timings.

oops, Sorry I was reading the dimensions to the sniper case, not the CM690 II. Actually when I looked closer I found two sets of conflicting dimensions for the HAF922 on my local computer stores website, so I leave it to you to decide which is true.

One page had this: (W)230 x (H)545 x (D)575 mm (smaller than the sniper) and another page on the same site had this, W253 x H502 x D563 mm (Same as the sniper), so Im not sure which is the correct one.

Sorry about the confusion. :-)

My experience with Corsair Ram has always been a good one. Those are pretty tight timings so as you overclock you may have to loosen them up a little but I was able to push my Corsair memory quite hard at same timings.

I think I have it figured out in terms of the 922. There's a kind of beveling on the side panels that doesn't cover the entire side panel.

Cebit20090303_016.jpg

The width of the 922 depends on whether or not you include this beveling on the sides. If you do, it's one of the widest and more spacious cases.

As for the RAM... I haven't actually figured out yet what the relation between the speed and the timings of the RAM is. I have yet a few overclocking guides to pour trough. (I'm a huge OC'ing noob)