Sign in to follow this  
sdy284

EA to follow Ubisoft with always on DRM

The only problem is you can't compete with free. It's a cliche but completely true. I hate to say it but there really is no way to stop pirates. They just have too many tools. And as with any game, just give it time and the crackers will figure it out. The only medium still safe from pirates is the PS3.

Just thinking about game pirates gets me riled up.... :(

The thing is that it isn't free, for people that have never done it, I would like to explain that it's not as simple as buying the game is, buying games means a convenient install, which is exactly why I prefer to do it if I am able. Now when you talk about a pirated version of a game, it's not as simple as insert disc and install, it is a fairly time consuming process.

Also, I personally think you can compete with free, if someone offered me Left 4 Dead for $1 or Assassin's Creed 2 for free, I would choose left 4 dead, DRM is crap and it shouldn't be supported in any case, that includes free, but that's just me, I know a lot of others would choose assassin's creed 2.

EA's sales are going to go down (how looooow can you go?) and the rate of piracy is going to go waaaaay up.

Good one EA. At least they have one foot left that still isn't shot (yet).

I'm not accusing you of anything, but some people say don't buy it and then turn around and pirate it which proves their point... some form of DRM is necessary!

I play a couple of Nova Logic games and have had them for years expensive at the time I bought them.

FPS i think they are called now.

I don't buy pirated games. I know it's done though and wish it weren't.

money spent is to hard to earn to let a company sell you something then restrict you in the use of the product.

the only provable DRM success is the CD Key and "disc in tray" check just to keep the people that don't have the skills to hack and copy files to another disc and share it with a friend(since I did that so much with Heroes 3).

more than that just pisses people off

I was still able to download a copy of Diablo II, burn it, use my CD-key, and play online... so no.

I'm no supporter of DRM but one could argue that most people buy games to play them online against other people which requires a constant internet connection anyways so if you don't have a good internet connection or it's unavailable at the current time you probably won't be playing the game weather there is DRM in it or not of corse though constant DRM means if the DRM servers ever go down or are taken offline then you can't play the game anymore.

I don't play rts games online. I enjoy the single player.

I don't play rts games online. I enjoy the single player.

Your probably in the minority of people who do that then.

Most games nowadays are built for online multilayer play which makes sense because who buys a game and plays signal player all the time.

Edited by fire_storm

Am I the only who isn't against this DRM thingy? I never had a problem with AC2.

Not only do the developers need to make it work, but they need to "sell it" to the consumer. we need to be convinced that the drm is a value added service. and "access to your savegames on any computer" isn't a valid reason. i can easily locate where the save data is on my pc so it is very easily copied to a USB flash drive or other storage device and copied to another pc. give me a reason to want to buy your problem riddled Piece of S. always on DRM makes the limited install DRM look like an angel.

I have an idea. 2 ways they can get more sales.

1) remove DRM all together. yes this will make it easier to pirate but when used in conjunction with #2

2) lower the price. I am more likely to buy a game if its not costing me a kiddney and if i know i am not going to have a million and one issues with activation, DRM etc. etc.

im not saying this would in anyway stop piracy. it would however force less people to pirate the game. i would buy more games if there were less issues with DRM. simple as that.

Removing DRM would surely save the developers money too as they wouldnt have to spend money on the "always on" servers, or spend money developing the DRM

You think just because they lower the price they will stop pirating?

I would just like to point out that There still isn't a proper torrent on Piratebay. Sure Cirro, maybe there is on some super-hightech secret private-tracker site in North Korea, but the majority go to piratebay and other public sites.

Sure, the google search term "Assassin's creed 2 torrent" went up after the servers went down, but how many of them actually got their hands on a working copy of Ac2?

I am sure that the times Ac2 has been downloaded has probably been record low so far. Why else would large companies like EA go onboard with this?

As for saying "I won't buy a game I love because it has DRM is just plain stupid. Face the facts; all future games will have this at some point. That is atleast my opinion.

Taken from the most popular ac2 torrent on piratebay:

PS: U CAN'T DO MISSIONS YET, BECAUSE THERE'S NOT A CRACK FOR 100% GAMEPLAY YET, BUT THIS IS A CLONE DVD, SO AS SOON AS A BETTER CRACK IS OUT U WILL ONLY NEED THE CRACK FILE.
Edited by Jump4h

As for saying "I won't buy a game I love because it has DRM is just plain stupid. Face the facts; all future games will have this at some point. That is atleast my opinion.

BC2 just patched Securom out.

BC2 just patched Securom out.

That is a very rare thing; I dont think I've ever heard of that before. It's very good though.

Edited by Jump4h

Your probably in the minority of people who do that then.

Most games nowadays are built for online multilayer play which makes sense because who buys a game and plays signal player all the time.

I would imagine people that play good single player games are the ones that play them all the time. The only reason games are going multiplayer more is because of 12 year olds that think stuff like myspace and facebook are the coolest things ever, social networking is the reason for why we have multiplayer games, not because multiplayer "makes sense".

I would imagine people that play good single player games are the ones that play them all the time. The only reason games are going multiplayer more is because of 12 year olds that think stuff like myspace and facebook are the coolest things ever, social networking is the reason for why we have multiplayer games, not because multiplayer "makes sense".

But the option to play mutiplayer or play against others has been an option on games long before social networking was even invented.

I'm sure things like socail networking have made it easier to find friends online and play with them but I doubt that's the reason why game developers mostly develop there game around online play rather than the signal player mode.

Edited by fire_storm

I was still able to download a copy of Diablo II, burn it, use my CD-key, and play online... so no.

you misunderstood me i'm not talking about using the internet for pirating, I'm talking about the old days of dial-up and the only way to get a game for free was to have a friend that had it and burned it for you, you missed out on that I guess