Sign in to follow this  
kevinmuff

Overclocking my alienware i7 920

Hey i just bought my new computer, and i havent recieved it yet. But i know once i get it, ill want to overclock it to 3.2ghz. I have never overclocked before, but i have been trying to learn over the net. Could anybody help me out here? It would be greatly appreciated.

As far as i know, what people mostly need to know for overclocking is the... :

Processor: i7 920 2.66ghz

Motherboard: mATX Motherboard

RAM: 9GB 1333mhz (3X 1024MB 3X 2048MB)

Video card: 2X Nvidia GTX 260

Intel

post-71183-1268883080_thumb.jpg

Get a refund and I'll build you the same PC for cheaper AND overclock it for you! Heh.

Seriously, though, check out the guide to overclocking here on OCC and perhaps some other sites, although some things will be different as I believe they refer to older Core 2 processors and not the newer i7s. Most of the basics are the same, though. Any i7 owners feel free to jump in.

And return that Alienware and let me build you one...

I kid, I kid...

:D

And return that Alienware and let me build you one...

+1

Since Alienware/HELL errr DeLL.....Designs their own Mobos your overclocking headroom is going to be limited.

Ya most likely you won't be able to overclock at all. In order to do so you would have to change motherboards. :(

Do I dare ask how much you paid? Not trying to bash I am just curious how much it cost.

did his config, its $1900!

EDIT: i tried to see what i could get with his money, hes gna regret his purchase!

post-69546-1268886569_thumb.png

Edited by minigeek

You CAN overclock Alienware..... so says the guy that works for Dell, and is certified on every Dell/Alienware desktop and laptop.... erm :rolleyes:

Its not going to be quite as crazy as any high end mobo. But depending on the bios version, it might be pretty capable.

Still though.. I woulda built my own :P

+1

Since Alienware/HELL errr DeLL.....Designs their own Mobos your overclocking headroom is going to be limited.

silly me....i thought those came turned up from the factory... B:)

Most likely the only setting you will be able to play with is the QPI reference clock. There aren't going to be any voltage settings in there for sure.

All in all, your overclock won't be hard. Just increase that lone setting until it's not stable anymore. :)

ouch , sucked in by Alienware.

but as the other members have said , just read the guides get a fair idea what your going to be toggling , and make sure you dont kill your shiny new PC :)

Edited by KK_

did his config, its $1900!

EDIT: i tried to see what i could get with his money, hes gna regret his purchase!

And as i see it, all you got that i didnt was 3 extra gigs of ram, and at 1600 instead of 1333. But also, my rig has 1 more gtx 260 than that.

But anyway, i know alienware is more pricey than building it yourself, i knew all this from the start. I have always wanted a alienware rig, and im pretty proud of it.

Really sucks, because even though all of you post after "not trying to bash", it is still bashing, and makes it hard to be proud of my new purchase.

Most likely the only setting you will be able to play with is the QPI reference clock. There aren't going to be any voltage settings in there for sure.

All in all, your overclock won't be hard. Just increase that lone setting until it's not stable anymore. :)

"Intel