Sign in to follow this  
Utmost

9800 GTGX SLI, or single 260 (216) 55nm

First off there are a LOT of issues doing ATI + Nvidia for physx with nvidia trying to lock down the drivers, but that is an option if you're willing to work at it.

Having two GTX 260s and using them in SLI, single, 8800GTs in SLI 4870s, a 5770 (didn't own this one) etc I would say right now I would be more inclined to sell the card you've got and buy whatever the best card you can afford after is.

With that said, if you can get a used card to match yours THAT sounds like a great option. My second 260 was used and saved a boatload, at retail pricing there's no way i would have bought a second. (mainly because the 680i/780i aka 650i/750i chipsets you get stuck with suck so badly compared to what intel has to offer)

Only if you play nearly every physx enabled title would i say that considering getting a current aka old gen nvidia card pairing with your current would be a good choice.

Anyway, good luck however you decide to go.

Single 260 core 216 all the way. The 2 x 9800's will pull more points and maybe higher fps in sli/crossfire optimized games but a single 260 will pull great fps across everything.

Thanks guys. Your input was invaluable. I'm heading out today and will most likely come back with a new GPU. I do know that I'm gonna skip the ATI for now even though I realize there is some more bang for the buck. I've been a Nvidia guy since I started buying computers like 10 years ago, and I have read some things here and there about ATI drivers. Having a wife and 3 kids, what little me time I have is better spent playing my games, not trying to get them to run. I'll update later with results. I would also shy away form used cards because of warranties, and of course I need a shiny new case badge for my recent case upgrade) Hopefully I'll be able to get one.

Thanks guys. Your input was invaluable. I'm heading out today and will most likely come back with a new GPU. I do know that I'm gonna skip the ATI for now even though I realize there is some more bang for the buck. I've been a Nvidia guy since I started buying computers like 10 years ago, and I have read some things here and there about ATI drivers. Having a wife and 3 kids, what little me time I have is better spent playing my games, not trying to get them to run. I'll update later with results. I would also shy away form used cards because of warranties, and of course I need a shiny new case badge for my recent case upgrade) Hopefully I'll be able to get one.

GTX 260 @ $150.00

Can't argue with that price, even though it's used. XFX's warranty transfers

Well I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143155 at my local Microcenter for $159. It may go back tomorrow for the 275 OC for $219, but I need to get this up and running and see how I like it. I just recently updated my drivers so I think I'll skip the CD drivers that came with it. I better check to see if the GTX use the same drivers though.

-side note

The dude at microcenter totally tried to talk me into a gigabyte 5770, and I actually made it all the way to the register with the ATI card, turned around, grabbed a 275, walked back, thought about the cost, turned around again and got the 260. nutz.

Edited by Utmost

Well I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143155 at my local Microcenter for $159. It may go back tomorrow for the 275 OC for $219, but I need to get this up and running and see how I like it. I just recently updated my drivers so I think I'll skip the CD drivers that came with it. I better check to see if the GTX use the same drivers though.

-side note

The dude at microcenter totally tried to talk me into a gigabyte 5770, and I actually made it all the way to the register with the ATI card, turned around, grabbed a 275, walked back, thought about the cost, turned around again and got the 260. nutz.

how much was the 5770??

5770 was 169. About the 260, I haven't had a chance to game yet, but I did run a 3d mark 06 and it only scored like 400 higher than my 9800 GTX. from 15900 ro 16300. Does that sound right, or am I bottle necked somewhere?

5770 was 169. About the 260, I haven't had a chance to game yet, but I did run a 3d mark 06 and it only scored like 400 higher than my 9800 GTX. from 15900 ro 16300. Does that sound right, or am I bottle necked somewhere?

Idk, I'm not one to particularly like benchmarks. How does it game for you?? Isn't that why you bought it?? :P (and yeah the 260 sounds the better deal, I'm surprised that it was cheaper than the 5770)

It is a Core 216 right?

Well like I said I'll get gaming here once I get rid of this epic hangover. I can't even see straight atm. Yes it's a 216 core with the 55nm. A corsair TX750 canpower SLI 260's can't it?

Well like I said I'll get gaming here once I get rid of this epic hangover. I can't even see straight atm. Yes it's a 216 core with the 55nm. A corsair TX750 canpower SLI 260's can't it?

it could do so with no sweat, I mean I run my 4870x2, two harddrives, my OC (and even used to run my 8800GT folding/physx) and no sass back from my 750.

The 260's are more efficient than the 4870's.