1x4GB or 2xGB

I'm looking at a new build and I see there is now 4GB DDR3 sticks. Due to budget constraints its 4GB, so is 2 sticks better than 1? The new PC will probably be AMD (P2, 890 mobo) based and mostly used for gaming.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by suedenim

You won't ever need more than 4 GB for gaming. Stick to 2x2GB. It's cheaper, though I don't know if 1 x 4GB is faster than 2 x 2GB. It's been a long time since I used a single stick of RAM on a computer.

going with 2x2GB will give you dual channel, and from what I understand is that the more cores you have, the more that having additional channels will help. I believe that's why Intel went with triple channel and didn't stay with dual channel

Edited by CowKing

I was gonna say it has been a while since anyone did a performance review of dual vs single channel memory hasn't it.

I did have a look but it was a long time ago (in PC terms anyway). I haven't found anything looking at multicores and all the other improvements and how multichannel memory impacts on this (or not).

I liked the idea of 1 4GB stick as its an easy upgrade in the future to drop another one in, but by that point I could be building a new rig anyway.

So 2x2GB it is. I have used G.Skill and OCZ without any issues before and will probably stick with them but is rated speed important? I was planning to get some slower sticks and run them at a higher frequency (i.e. 1066 at 1333 or higher)

Edited by suedenim

One thing I thought I would mention is that duel channel doesn't always work if the 2 sticks don't match up properly. If you buy a duel channel pack (one with 2 sticks in it), you shouldn't have any trouble.

my vote would be 2 sticks regardless of duel channel

I'm looking at a new build and I see there is now 4GB DDR3 sticks. Due to budget constraints its 4GB, so is 2 sticks better than 1? The new PC will probably be AMD (P2, 890 mobo) based and mostly used for gaming.

Thanks in advance.

you get double bandwith using two stick doubling your speed effectively, are you going to require more memory in the future?