Sign in to follow this  
Semloh

Mother Board AMD P2 Gaming Rig

Hey guys I'm nearing the final planning of my gaming rig.

I'm trying to keep prices down and stay as close a $1000 as possible.

I will be using a Phenom 2 955 CPU.

In my rig I will be running one video card (XFX 5850) and I don't plan to ever crossfire.

So my question is should I get the MSI 790 FX and leave myself with more options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130223

Or save money and buy a Gigabyte 770TA with usb 3.0 and Sata 6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...8-419-_-Product

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!!!

Thanks Guys!

I hope you have a spare graphics card lying around in case you run into a problem

I hope you have a spare graphics card lying around in case you run into a problem

?? What ??

I am definitely confused now.

Edited by feetfats

Dont skimp on a motherboard. Get the best you can afford.

A motherboard can make or break a rig.

Umm potato???

And CAINuke! Thanks, yea I figured it would be better in the long run to get a good motherboard! Do you recommend this one or is there a better one in this range???

In the same price bracket I picked up a ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO set me back in the neighborhood of $85 at the time if you don't count the idiotic moment of forgetting that I didn't have ANY DDR3 at the time :lol: Looks to be a solid board with the limited play time I've had with it and a CRAPLOAD of BIOS options. Sorta wish I had went with something with a second 8X or higher 16X slot, but it was discounted and I wanted to play with my Athlon II X4 all while having an old 4200+ to replace it in the Crosshair II Formula for now.

I don't think you'll be too unhappy either way.

if you don't plan to crossfire get a 790GX board, a little bit cheaper and with onboard graphics... you will never know when a gpu is going to cause a problem, but at least you have onboard spare... and on overclocking side 790GX board perform quite good

Guest ajmatson

Honestly the 890GX boards are the best bang for the buck at the moment. They run less than the 790FX and my ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 clocked my CPU's higher than my Gigabyte 790FX board.

Thanks guys those are all good suggestions!!

I'm still researching, and I still can't find a reason that any of them would beat the 770 I posted for a single GPU setup.

DO you guys have one?

Guest ajmatson
Thanks guys those are all good suggestions!!

I'm still researching, and I still can't find a reason that any of them would beat the 770 I posted for a single GPU setup.

DO you guys have one?

I have a Gigabyte 770 and while a solid board I am pulled to the features and solidness of the 890GX ATM :)