Sign in to follow this  
warhound

5850 11fps in Dirt 2....

it wouldn't turn on if both power cables weren't in... it would light up red and not boot.. raise your resolution.. lower resolutions are more cpu demanding then graphics... try at least 1680 x 1050 and see what happens

it wouldn't turn on if both power cables weren't in... it would light up red and not boot.. raise your resolution.. lower resolutions are more cpu demanding then graphics... try at least 1680 x 1050 and see what happens

but even then he would still get good framerates even though the lower rez is cpu limited

Edited by ShallowBay

but even then he would still get good framerates even though the lower rez is cpu demanding.

Quite true. I don't think his i7 should be struggling that much no matter what the low resolution is.

lower resolutions are more cpu demanding then graphics

Uhhh...what???

CPU limited, yes, but not more demanding.

Will the 5850s run without the power cables plugged in? With their crazy low idle power draw it wouldn't surprise me if they'd run...but stick at VERY low clocks to stay under 75 watts.

no it will not run with out them... its not that pci bus interface doesnt have enough power its the fact the card knows enough when its not recieving any power from there not to boot.. this way theres no undervoltage. just for laughs try a higher resolution and post your results

1920x1080 still 11 fps and temps do go up by about 10-20c when I try to play. Both power chords are plugged in and I'm on the 10.2 drivers. I can't try it on another game because I don't own one, but 3ds max renders stuff extremely quickly so I'm guessing that the card is working.... any more suggestions? I really want to play this game.

Edited by warhound

Is there any way you can borrow a game from a friend, or better yet, try a fresh OS install? Like on another machine or something?

I already did try it at a higher resolution you obviously didn't read everything...I'm downloading 3dmark and trackmania as I'm posting this but I have 1.5 mb internet so its going slowly.