bhvm

Possible to Undervolt laptop FAN?

Hello Folks,

I have HP DV8000 Laptop With the following spec-

http://www.techshout.com/laptops/2006/07/h...216tx-notebook/

As monster as it is... I am very happy with it.. Esp Dual 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID 0.

The one and only thing I hate is... the fan!

Its almost always running (except the coldest winter nights) and Annoys me with great deal of noise.

This is the situation since day 1, So Its safe to assume HP designed it that way.

I've tried cleaning with compressed air, Running it without OS and etc... Same.

No Bios settings provided for fan.

Now as the warranty is over, Can I hard-mod the fan to a lower voltage?

I've done this 7v and 5v mods on MANY of desktop fans... Peace and quiet......Works flawlessly!

But with a laptop? Whats your say?

Well is there a chance you can take it apart and get a replacement fan from say random fan maker? That would likely be the easier route then Trying to modify the internal Wiring and routing of the fan. Maybe its a crumby fan to begin with.

But If you do not want to go that route and woul rather mod the fan theory it possible.. such as sticking a small resistor inbetween the fan or finding the 5 volt header if thats possible. Or inserting a fan controller. Just keep an eye on your temps. That fan is likely working its tail off for a reason. And could you also post an HP link to your Lappy, I cannot see the specs on it. Is it the I7 varient?

Edited by boinker

Here are the Updated links-

http://www.gadgetsguru.in/hp-pavillion-dv8...india-1351.aspx

http://www.laptopviews.com/hp-laptops/hp-p...16tx-laptop-pc/

Don't look at the pics...They're wrong. Specs are correct tough

The upgrade is 4GB 667Mhz RAM, Dual 7200 RPM Seagate in RAID 0.

You're right about buying a spare fan, But as in India, I just can't hope. Even Original Fans are not available, forget the Cheap ones.

I was Sure thinking putting a 100ohm Resistor in between, But this one is a 4 Wire fan. Which wire shall I slice?

And one more thing, can this Lappy be upgraded to USB 3.0?

That fan is likely working its tail off for a reason.

+1 Bingo! Undervolting the fan could lead to premature system failure. Your best bet would be to leave the fan alone and look for a good notebook cooler to help cool it down enough so the fans aren't spinning at such a high, meaning noisy, speed.

And one more thing, can this Lappy be upgraded to USB 3.0?

In a word, no. At least not without replacing the motherboard. On a desktop you could get an add-in card which won't be an option for the laptop. There are USB 3.0 PCMCIA cards available like this one - Super Talent IM-PCM30 2-Port USB 3.0 PCMCIA Card. I'm sure there are other options which would be different if you are not in the U.S.

I checked out its parts breakdown and replacing a fan in that might be more a pill then its work. The fans design is likely why it has to make that much noise to move the amount of air it needs ( like GPU's). If it has ever in fact overheated though i would possibly check out the TIM Job on the processor to see if it needs to be renewed. (possible Proc to Heat solution issue) Just make sure you take your time. Laptops can be a pain in the rear.

+1 Bingo! Undervolting the fan could lead to premature system failure. Your best bet would be to leave the fan alone and look for a good notebook cooler to help cool it down enough so the fans aren't spinning at such a high, meaning noisy, speed.

+1 Laptop coolers increase the efficiency of laptop cooling systems ten fold just due to airflow. Cooler master makes a nice one.

Actually.....

I am going to Totally......thoroughly Mod this lappy....

Pics and instructable coming up.......

Kee your eyes peeled!!!!!!!!!!

And I make nicer Coolers then Coolermaster.......as ya all will soon know this sunday.