What's your go-to brand?

R1P5AW

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting for someone to drop the bomb! :lol:

No bomb dropped there... I know Seagate owns them, but having 4 Maxtor drives fail in a 3 month period was pure crap. To top that off, Maxtor wouldn't send me a new drive, only a REFURB even though the drive I sent them initially was bought brand new. After the 3rd drive they sent me, they told me that they're not covering anything under warranty for me anymore and I threw the BS flag. As far as i'm concerned, if that drive's manufacter date is within the warranty period, I'll return 100 drives if I have to. Still the same, when the 4th drive came back, I didn't open the package and sold it on evilbay instead and ended up buying a WD that I still have sitting on the shelf and it still works from 2003. I'll never bother with a Maxtor again.

One drive fail with WD and they Advanced RMA'd me a NEW one and I had it in 2 days. I haven't had a Seagate fail yet that I can remember

One drive fail with WD and they Advanced RMA'd me a NEW one and I had it in 2 days. I haven't had a Seagate fail yet that I can remember

That's WD, good service IMO! Had an advanced RMA with ma 160GB back in the day, that was fast as hell. I run two Samsung drives now, 250GB and 1TB, no worries there at all.

If anyone has problems with WD drives, just let me know and I'll get after my uncle. :lol: He works for WD and is currently at the plant in Malaysia for another 2 years I think. Now, I just need him to send me some free stuff and I'll be set. :P

I forgot to add, that I'm kind of leery of Silverstone PSU's after my first one from them died when I got a power spike in my apartment. I had just built this computer about a month before and then we get a thunderstorm, takes out the power but I get a small spike in my building. Luckily, it only fried the PSU and not the rest of the new stuff. Silverstone never responded to my RMA request, so I just bought my Thermaltake unit instead. Never had an issue with it during an power outtages or spikes, and my old apartment was notorious for losing power.

XFX though I haven't ever bought a single product from them :D But maybe I will some time! I've always had good memories from "oldskool" brands like G.Skill and Abit.

If anyone has problems with WD drives, just let me know and I'll get after my uncle. :lol: He works for WD and is currently at the plant in Malaysia for another 2 years I think. Now, I just need him to send me some free stuff and I'll be set. :P

I forgot to add, that I'm kind of leery of Silverstone PSU's after my first one from them died when I got a power spike in my apartment. I had just built this computer about a month before and then we get a thunderstorm, takes out the power but I get a small spike in my building. Luckily, it only fried the PSU and not the rest of the new stuff. Silverstone never responded to my RMA request, so I just bought my Thermaltake unit instead. Never had an issue with it during an power outtages or spikes, and my old apartment was notorious for losing power.

Which tells you something about the quality of that Silverstone unit! If it was rubbish, it would have taken out half your computer as well. Not responding to RMA requests is not cool though!

XFX though I haven't ever bought a single product from them :D But maybe I will some time! I've always had good memories from "oldskool" brands like G.Skill and Abit.

Abit no longer exists sadly :(

I seem to "Go-to" Asus and Mushkin. Heard horror stories of Asus mobos and customer support but haven't experienced that myself. Had a return years ago on a stick of Mushkin RAM and they were amazing in how they handled it. I use Gigabyte boards in builds for family and friends and haven't had a single problem but use Asus in my personal builds. I don't really care what the brand I'll use many different ones but Mushkin earned my repeat business with their service.

I like ASUS & Cosair.

Mainly cause the other brands I have used for parts haven't been as good (either on service/reliability)

EVGA was terrible for RMA. (Took over 2 months! Kept telling me they hadn't got my board, even tho I had proof that they signed for it! Only accepted they had it when I sent them a copy of it!!)

XFX would not RMA my 8800GTX, said I had to send it back to the shop I bought it at, even tho it was 2 yrs old. Best they offered me was a GTX260 for

It really depends on the item.

Monitor: Asus or Acer. I'd be fine with a Samsung, if they weren't much more expensive.

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech

Case: Whatever's the best for the money at the time. I always know there's an Antec I'll be fine with (if not 100% ecstatic)

PSU: Corsair.

Mobo: Gigabyte, Asus, if it has good reviews I'm alright.

RAM: G Skill bias.

HDD: Western Digital, though I've heard good things about Samsung

CPU: AMD, I'm generally too poor for Intel.

Video Card: I don't game much at all. Newer onboard is generally good enough for me.

Disc Drive: Whatever's cheap and reliable.

I probably forgot something.

Which tells you something about the quality of that Silverstone unit! If it was rubbish, it would have taken out half your computer as well. Not responding to RMA requests is not cool though!

Yeah, it was pretty good quality to stop at just the PSU. All my rails except for the 5v were fried, so my PC would get the LED lights on it lit but that was it. :lol: I just never heard from them about an RMA request, don't know why really. I waited a few weeks and after no response, I decided to go with my Thermaltake unit.

I like EVGA for their customer support. I had been on vacation for about a week, came back and turned on my PC and I got an error code on my board. Couldn't find my manual to diagnose, so I called them up and talked to a very nice guy who helped me through it. We figured out what could have caused it, reset the battery and the cables and just everything we could think of and then it started working a little later. I still don't know why the PC didn't turn off after being idle for a week, but I liked being able to figure it out with them real fast. I know others have had problems but I didn't have any issues. Took maybe 20 minutes and I was back up and running.