Bosco

Intel Core i7 980X Tested

they also said that about 1gb hard drives and 64kb of system memory ;)

Yeah but how long did it take for that technology to come into play? They are releasing a 6 core, 12 logical thread CPU when even a 4 core, 8 logical thread CPU is overkill (yes, I know I have one :P ). There are a select few who can actually use this CPU, and most others just want it for the "oooooh, shiny" effect.

edit: Great review BTW! Look forward to the comparison of the heatsink with other, more formidable foes!

Edited by redtigerdragon

Yeah but how long did it take for that technology to come into play? They are releasing a 6 core, 12 logical thread CPU when even a 4 core, 8 logical thread CPU is overkill (yes, I know I have one :P ). There are a select few who can actually use this CPU, and most others just want it for the "oooooh, shiny" effect.

edit: Great review BTW! Look forward to the comparison of the heatsink with other, more formidable foes!

well for those select few that actually can use this CPU, it's going to give them a great performance boost, and they will buy these CPU's. Intel knows this and thats why they're releasing them ;) Plus they want to keep AMD on it's heels

Naww, not me. Cant wait to see what the retails do I will probably pick one up... :)

oh ya not you! http://hwbot.org/community/user/road_runner :lol:

well for those select few that actually can use this CPU, it's going to give them a great performance boost, and they will buy these CPU's. Intel knows this and thats why they're releasing them ;) Plus they want to keep AMD on it's heels

I'll agree that AMD had a part in this, as their 6 core CPU's are just around the corner. And I'll also agree that this is a good replacement fore the current top end CPU from Intel, as now it really sets it apart. But I don't think there are that many who can actually use it, so making it as a production model instead of a limited edition or something like that seems odd. But, then again, I don't know how many 965/975's they sold either. So it may be warranted.

If your gaming (I mean only gaming and occasional internet surfing) and your getting this, then there is something seriously wrong. This thing is just utter fail if you look at gaming. Sure it gets like 15 or so more FPS in one the games, but guess what all of the other CPU's are at about 110FPS. In crysis it was down low with all the other CPU's. For gaming this thing is garbage, if you look at price and performance.

Now for the other benchmarks, very nice! Hopefully AMD comes out with their 6-Core soon, I wanna see how it compares!

if you look at price and performance.

If you're even considering this, price is the least of your worries!

If you're even considering this, price is the least of your worries!

lol yeah. but seriously, as of right now, to get this for a gaming machine only is dumb to say the least when you can spend Hundreds less and get the same performance.

but obviously more cores is the future . once developers code for SIX cores this will be great.

lol yeah. but seriously, as of right now, to get this for a gaming machine only is dumb to say the least when you can spend Hundreds less and get the same performance.

but obviously more cores is the future . once developers code for SIX cores this will be great.

If I played games and was a gamer only I would still be running a E6600...

Edited by road-runner

for gaming i vote usless... sure on some of the programs it runs faster.. generally seconds faster, and it benches way above the comp, but is that worth 700-800 dollars more than a current quadcore.. thats for you to decide. maybe as more 6(12core hyperthreading?) programs/games come along it will be more useful.. but the including cooling solution is awesome. in the end way to go intel for some pretty cool technology.. even if it is exspensive

Edited by actionstan

+1 the only people who are going to be buying this initially are benchmark whores, trustfund babies, people that do intense video/audio encoding, and the odd [email protected] member with money to burn :bah::foldon:

Or cruncher with deep pockets. Can't imagine the scores with that puppy running @ 100% on BOINC. :O