Sign in to follow this  
Queenz

Looking for a security camera set

Been wanting to do this for quite some time now. I'm looking for a good security camera set. Just looking for a setup where I can watch my house over the internet and anywhere I'm at on my laptop of desktop. Preferably one with night vision. I'm looking for something that comes with live recording and two to three cameras. Two would be fine though. I really don't care for the wired ones and prefer the wireless ones so that way I don't need to run wires up to the balcony of my house and garage. Budget wise is under $300. Thanks guys!

For $300 you are not going to get really anything that good :( I paid $225 each for my infrared. With really cheap camera's you can't see crap, trust me I learned after buying crappy stuff the first time.

Yup, invest in good cameras if you don't want to do anything else. However, if you're imaginative, most "okay" cameras will work. You just need decent lighting, since when you're gone, you're most likely going to leave the lights off. If you can, install a motion sensor to switch a light source on for these "okay" cameras. Also, the better burglars will cut off your power, so camera's are useless without a back-up power supply.

I bought a decent camera for $85, and hooked up a motion sensor switch, and I can VPN into my network at home to see what's going on. During the day it's fine. At night, the software that came with the camera enables snapshots to be taken if there's motion detected. Basically when something triggers the motion sensor for the light, the motion sensor for the camera takes a snapshot, so if I'm not home or watching on my camera, I at least can see what it was that triggered the lights and the camera.

Half decent Pan Tilt Digital zoom is almost 300 each, anything cheaper and you cant see anything at night and all need just a little light unless they have infrared on them..

Not to mention with infrared you can usually see them a mile away which sometimes is not a bad thing :)