Sign in to follow this  
TropicalPreist

Modular PSU

The Corsair HX series isn't all modular. ;)

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Modular PSUs only add an additional point of failure and extra line resistance.

Edited by Waco

And modularness is totally overrated! You still pretty much plug in every connector you have, just because you can't reach everything from one string.

why would you want an all modular psu when in the end you still need to plug in and use the 24pin and 8pin :blink: unless you wanna go dual psu setup

My main reason is for wire management. Yeah i definitely need an all modular psu and i've had no problems with my current one at all. This one will be for my 1156 build.

Yes it does, but cmon now... it's a negligible downside considering the huge upside to cable management. Modular PSUs work perfectly fine, I (and tens of thousands of other people) run two of them, swap cables in and out often and never had an issue. You don't have to get into this myth PCP&C is/was trying to push!

:withstupid:

Modular or captively cabled power supplies makes virtually no difference!

Do the plug/connectors fail all the time on captively wired power supplies? No, so why should they be regarded as an extra failure point on modular units?

Yes they do introduce extra line resistance but it really is very, very small and makes no difference to the DC rails.

My one and only gripe is the "fully" modular unit. Why make the 20/24 pin motherboard or the ATX12V/EPS12V cables modular there really is no reason?

Cheers

Paul

I'm running the HX650 Corsair in my new system and I only have 3 of the supplied cables used. The power/24 pin was a given and then I have both SATA power cables for the 3 hard drives and the 2 ROM drives and then 1 PCIE cable used for my 1 video card. My only gripe about Corsairs cables is the way they're molded flat. It makes them a little hard to run sometimes, but they also have the benefits of laying flat in tight areas behind the motherboard wall if needed