Can't get to 4.2ghz with E8500

Danzer

I can't seem to get above 4.085ghz (430x9.5) stable. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L mobo and OCZ 2GB DDR2 800 memory. I tried going 432x9.5 with vcore at 1.344 and memory frequency at 540 with the system multiplier set at 2.50. Hopefully I've provided all the info needed to figure out how to get to 4.2ghz. I know I can do this, but I am having some trouble getting there. I've attached a screen shot of my desktop and of my bios.

post-70255-1268006953_thumb.jpg

post-70255-1268006963_thumb.jpg

post-70255-1268006972_thumb.jpg

Please let me know how I can achieve 4.2ghz with the information I have provided. I've gotten a lot of help getting up to 3.8ghz so I trust you guys lol

Thanks

I would say it's your ram holding you back. It can be something to do with the following.

1: Ram frequency

2: Ram voltage

3: Ram timings.

4. Northbridge Voltage - Higher FSB puts more strain on the NB.

5. CPU Temp

6. North Bridge temp

Although i would first start by lower your memory speed by using a different strap and increasing your NB voltage a tad!

Good luck!

wtf! - I increased NB (MCH) voltage by .1 and once I got into cpu-z, it showed my non-overclocked settings 333x9.5, which in the bios is 430x9.5. I then drop the voltage back to normal and it's still 333x9.5 in cpu-z. How can I get this back to 430x9.5? I put my original oc settings back and it says 333x9.5 still. Any thoughts?

please help!

EDIT - GREAT! Now my computer doesn't even work. It powers up, but bios or anything doesn't boot up. I'm guessing it's the motherboard? If so, is there anyway to fix it or will I have to buy a new one?

Edited by Danzer

Unplug your PC from the power source and open your PC case. Take out the battery on the motherboard. remove-battery.jpg

Leave it out for about 5 minutes and then put it back in and start up your PC. You should get a beep and ask you to press F1 for default settings or DEL to enter setup. Then you should be good to go again!

wow, it worked...guess I don't know every trick in the book lol, but i'll def remember this one. But what was the reason for my motherboard to act like that? was it because of the voltage increase in NB?

It's usually bad ram timings or a FSB which is too high or not enough voltage to one or more components. Overvolting usually makes most motherboards just reset the default voltages and say 'Overclocking failed reset defaults' when it restarts its self. I had written a guide on how to achieve 4ghz on a E8400 a year or 2 ago, it's a pitty i don't have it anymore :( otherwise i'm sure it could have been a decent knowledge base for you.

What sort of cooling do you have on that CPU? You never mentioned that. Also make sure your memory isn't overclocked too much by adjusting the 'System Memory Multiplier'

Edited by jackbrennan2008

I've got the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B with a push/pull set up. I've achieved 4.085ghz (9.5x430) but I can't go any higher than that. All voltages are set at normal, except for vcore and the memory multiplier is set at 2.00. Everything runs smooth, but I really want to hit 4.2ghz for some reason lol. Also, my timings are 5-5-5-15 and according to HWmonitor, the DDR volt is at 1.89.

Yea, it says 2.1v on the sticks themselves. So I would just have to crank up the volts in ddr overvoltage in bios correct? the options are +.1, +.2, & +.3...if cpuz says my ddr is at 1.89, should i put ddr overvoltage to +.2? If so, I then bump cpu fsb from 430 to 442 little by little while increasing vcore as well when needed, correct? Thanks man, appreciate the help.