Sound Blaster X-Fi - not enough resources?

Rokkaholik

I finally got my system put together and everything went smooth except the drivers from the CD. I had to go to thr Gigabyte site to get current ones as nothing wanted to install correctly off the disk. After that was sorted out, I put my Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card in and installed the most current drivers from their site. They install without problem and prompt a restart. Upon restart, I still have no sound on either OS I have, XP and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Looking in device manager on both OS's, there's a yellow triangle with an exclaimation point. Looking into it, the device says error code 12 and says Not Enough Resources - You must disable some devices. I have no clue what that means. I didn't install the onboard drivers for the Realtek HD Audio because I knew I would be using it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the X-Fi on both OS's, and still nothing.

What else could be interferring? I know the card works.

Any advice is appreciated.

Here's the 2 errors on the XP side. They're the same as on the Windows 7 side as well

devicemanagererror.jpg

properties.jpg

Edited by Rokkaholik

Did you happen to disable the onboard audio in BIOS as well? I've seen that cause some issues before, so it'd be worth a shot to disable it in BIOS if you haven't already.

Also, if you can, check and see about the IRQ allocation and see if there are any conflicts between the cards you have installed.

I would lean more toward the irq's but I know how sometimes we have brain farts and forget the simplest of things so I to would check the that the onboard audio is disabled.

I did disable the audio in the device manager, but I never thought of the bios. I used this same sound card and video card in my previous machine, so I know they work together fine.

I have no clue what the IRQ's are. Can someone please explain?

I'm going to set the bios to optimized defaults and see if that works first. I had to make some changes to get the mobo to recognize I. Had 1600 memory because it only sees 1066 and then I think 2000. I also changed a few other things in the periphials.

Thanks for the input so far

I got it figured out... First I set everything to Optimized Defaults and Failsafe Defaults, then reset up the USB Mouse and Keyboard to enabled, set my memory to show 1600 instead of 1066, changed the DRAM to 1.64v, and then looked for anything related to onboard audio. Looking in the motherboard book, I found that even though the onboard is REALTEK HD, there's a setting for something called Azalia Codec, which is basically the onboard audio on/off switch and it was set to auto so I disabled it. Fired up the PC, and the sound was there.

B:)

Me too... The Realtek sounds good, which is a surprise considering that past onboard audio always sounded like crap to me, but I wanted my X-Fi, because I like the way it sounds MUCH better. Especially with my Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 system. My last system, I never had to disable anything on the Bios for audio. I just disabled the onboard in the device manager and it never bothered me again.

Sometimes leaving the onboard audio enabled on some motherboards and then installing an add-on sound card can cause conflicts. They can show up in different ways but usually disabling the onboard audio in BIOS will fix it. Glad to see it helped, sometimes the littlest things can cause the big issues. At least now you have better sound for your games and music and movies.