HD 5830 or HD 5850

I just got my new PC put together, and although I transplanted my XFX GTX260 Black Edition into it, I'm tossing around the idea of getting either a HD 5830 or HD 5850. I see there's not much out there for the 5830's right now, but the 5850's have plenty of choices... What's the best bang for the buck?

The GTX260 is fairly close to the 5830 in a few tests I've seen. Some it beats the 5830 and others, it's a little behind, but I have the Black Edition, which makes me wonder if it would be even more nose to nose or even that the one I have is just better. Maybe the 5850 is the better choice then ;)

Any other opinions?

5850 or bust.. i think the 5830s average around 250ish $ and for 50 bucks more you get the 5850.. it seems to me that ati took the lower end compoents not good enough for the 5850s and threw them on a pcb and thus called them a 5830.. i know its more complicated than that.. but its a bad value... same preformance as a 4890... higher power consumption than the current 5800 cards.. the 5850 is definatley better or you can wait til the gtx470 comes out.. ive read roumurs that its gunna be 300 dollars and preform in between the 5850 an 5870.. what truth this holds i can not gaurentee but its definatly worth the wait to me cause i was gunna get a 5850 myself til i started reading :D

5850 or bust.. i think the 5830s average around 250ish $ and for 50 bucks more you get the 5850.. it seems to me that ati took the lower end compoents not good enough for the 5850s and threw them on a pcb and thus called them a 5830.. i know its more complicated than that.. but its a bad value... same preformance as a 4890... higher power consumption than the current 5800 cards.. the 5850 is definatley better or you can wait til the gtx470 comes out.. ive read roumurs that its gunna be 300 dollars and preform in between the 5850 an 5870.. what truth this holds i can not gaurentee but its definatly worth the wait to me cause i was gunna get a 5850 myself til i started reading :D

ATI removed half the Rops (leaving 16 like the 5770) and that means 5830's performance will suffer in larger resolutions with AA turned on. It is around the same performance as a 4890 although I think a 4890 would perform better under some circumstances as well.

The few reviews I have seen indicate it will overclock really well though and it will be a fair bit cheaper than a 5850, especially once some numbers come to market.

Im Sticking with my Vapor-x 4890 as well for the time being. It overclocks really well and still has good performance. When Nvidia get their game together and we start seeing some actual competition in the market, I think we see some price movement and better value for money options from both ATI and Nvidia.

in all reality, a pair of 4850's is a bit better than a single HD5850 (check tom's hardware. the proof is there)....for about $100 cheaper. there was another thread on that specific subject so i did some research.

now i have some 5850's and i LOVE them. playing dirt2 on dx11 in MAX everything is really a treat. so a single one might not have raw horsepower like the 4850 pair does but their torque pulling power is a treasure....whatever that means. inn the end. if your not caring about dx11, a pair of 4870's or even 4890's might be a real value given the price of a single 5850.

In terms of gaming performance, the 5830 = 4890 with Eyefinity and DX11 support. The 5850 is in a league of its own along with it's older brother, the 5870 and well-endowed father, the 5970(5870x2). Definitely, get the 5850, you will not regret it at all.

Edited by Finalheaven

According to the wife, I'm not building another PC for about 3-4 years, so I may as well load this one. The XFX 5850 Black Edition will suffice for 3 years. Besides, my gaming isn't top priority right now anyway, but depending on what I do for summer courses at school, I may have more time then.