"Desktops will be irrelevant in 3 years."

http://gizmodo.com/5485552/desktops-dead-baby-desktops-dead

Does anyone else think this guy is full of s&%#?

Not even from a business standpoint does that make sense. Corporations need big computers.

Not to mention us gamers/modders/OC'ers.

I mean, he's a big part of Google but... seriously? This is poorly thought-out, imo.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if laptop hardware becomes a lot better and cheaper. Won't be anytime soon though.

Except all the extra weigh of a desktop replacement laptop :(

Don't see desktops dying anytime in the near future.

Edited by Krazyxazn

http://gizmodo.com/5485552/desktops-dead-baby-desktops-dead

Does anyone else think this guy is full of s&%#?

Not even from a business standpoint does that make sense. Corporations need big computers.

Not to mention us gamers/modders/OC'ers.

I mean, he's a big part of Google but... seriously? This is poorly thought-out, imo.

Dead meaning that about 65% of the population will need nothing more than a tiny nettop box to connect to "The Cloud" to do everything they currently do on their desktops?

YES I agree.

However there will be many uses for powerful desktops be it computer gaming or workstation uses for years to come.

Edited by Andrewr05

If everything is moving towards cloud computing and net-books why are manufactures making things like the I7 or HD5970.

And if this apply's to gaming as well then why aren't gaming consoles the size of cellphones by now.

Edited by danieljury3

This guy is seriously a douche. As long as there are people out there like us, desktops will not be leaving anytime soon. These are just dicks jumping into something they know nothing about.

One thing that dick is forgetting is that now a days it's all about having the biggest viewing space. Something laptops don't provide nor will they ever. I know you can hook up your big screen to your laptop but how many people actually screw around with that? More people always go back to their desktops at home simply because it's more comfortable and easy to see. Plus they can just flop their lazy azz down in a chair and move a mouse.

On another note laptop expansion just isn't the same as desktops when it comes to a wide variety of choices. You buy it, your stuck with it.

One more thing I'd like to add is that the price you pay for a mainstream desktop, your going to pay out of your azz for a laptop. Laptop hardware is still just too damn expensive.

I wonder what this butt is going to say when someone brings up this nonsense article in 3-4 years time and there are still million and millions of desktops being used worldwide :rolleyes:

I think its Horse $#!T, When have you ever seen the latest graphics card and processor in a laptop?

GTX 285M LOLOLOLOLOLOLWUT.

No, but seriously.

The guy may work for Google, but he just made a really stupid statement.

I had to share this. It was just too shocking.

The guy may work for Google, but he just made a really stupid statement.

I had to share this. It was just too shocking.

It's called being an attention whore. If the guy puts out a statement like this, it's obviously going to put alot of attention on him and alot of people reading the article.

He doesn't literally mean desktops will be obsolete. He's just making the claim that in a few years, most people who simply use their desktops to do basic things like surf the net, and use simple programs will use smaller devices.

Edited by UkJenT

He doesn't literally mean desktops will be obsolete. He's just making the claim that in a few years, most people who simply use their desktops to do basic things like surf the net, and use simple programs will use smaller devices.

Seems more like it. If I wasn't into gaming, I would be perfectly happy with my laptop (not even a mid-range). Maybe just more battery life hehe :D.

Too jobless to go mobile (cellphone) only. Data plans are so expensive :(. My friend keeps telling me if I used his modded Droid for one day. I would never want to use my old phone :P.

Edited by Krazyxazn