What size drill bit do I need to drill out pop rivets?

Ok so I will be modding a Corsair 800d case sometime over the next few weeks, (Ill be makeing a worklog) but I need to know something before I do anything... What size drill bit should I use to drill out any pop rivet I find? and What size pop rivets should I use to put it all back together?

If anyone could tell me I would be forever thankfull :P

Also if anyone does know (if no one does it doesn't matter) how do you remove the buttuns on the side of the case which release the side panels? If no one knows its ok Im sure Ill be able to work it out myself but it woulod be easier going into the job knowing exactly how to remove them. :P

Thanks in advance for any help.

You're going to have to go and get a ruler out.

rivets.jpg

So, for the usual construction, you have a pin of sorts that expands the material on the far side and is removed after the installation. When you drill them out, you just separate the head from the shaft, and that'll allow the pieces to completely separate. When you replace them, just go for a rivet that has roughly the same size head. You'll also need a tool for setting the rivets (maybe $20 for a cheap one).

Here's a link for hole diameters and recommended sizes:

http://www.thefastenerconnection.com/Products/PopRivet.html

I'm fast. :lol: (I found a better link for pop rivets :P )

So, yeah, I'd probably say go out an buy a 15 or 20 piece fractional drill bit set. They're pretty useful and cheap. You can pick what size fits best when you compare with the rivets in the case.

You need to know what size the hole is ,you dont want to change it(make it bigger) by using a larger bit.

Once you know the hole size you know the bit size,maybe even one size smaller bit.

Guest ajmatson

From my experience they are 1/8 but I am looking at painting a case soon so I'll double check for you.

my main rig case has two or three different sizes of rivets... i just used progressively larger drill bits until the rivets come out and then used rivets that fit in the hole...

pretty simple really, I already had several sets of drill bits and bought a rivet gun and an assortment of different size rivets

1/8 is the usual suspect on computer cases. I pop mine out when I paint cases all the time. If it's a little bigger, a flat headed screw driver will further loosen the rivets off after you drill them out. When you go back up with it, make sure you use aluminum 1/4 inch length rivets so there isn't much shoulder protruding and IF you need to remove them again it will be as easy as it was the first time. Stainless is good but can be a hassle getting out again.

Edited by Hedghawg71

It really isnt that big of a deal as you usually you dont drill right through the hole... just drill into the head of the rivet with whatever size (try 1/8" or 3/16") and when the head pops off your done.