120 Gb Ibm Harddrive, But Shows 115 Gb Total Space

Akutarou23

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You paid for a 120 GB drive, and got 120,000,000,000 bytes.

They are also (generally very clearly) marked that this is unformatted capacity, and that 1 GB is measured as 1,000 MB. You didn't get ripped off, pretty much all drives are this way. A 1.44MB floppy only holds 1.38. Same deal.

You paid for a 120 GB drive, and got 120,000,000,000 bytes.

They are also (generally very clearly) marked that this is unformatted capacity, and that 1 GB is measured as 1,000 MB. You didn't get ripped off, pretty much all drives are this way. A 1.44MB floppy only holds 1.38. Same deal.

:withstupid::withstupid:

post-7-1072677442.gif

Heck, I have 2 x 80GB Seagates in RAID 0 and I only get 150GB capacity. Take into account that there is total storage and formatted storage. Formatted storage is calculated on your cluster size and the math of sectors, heads, and cylinders. People have been complaining about lost space in their HDD's for years and thats the way it works.

Since companies know that we won't be able to fully use that 120 GB they promised, I think they should shave off a little of the price, don't you agree. I'm a college student, money is something hard to come by  :( .

you aren't really understand. you are getting a full 120gb based on the definition used by the companies, unfortunately it's a differen't defintion then what your computer uses.

sure it's shady, but it's just like when a car dealer says he has cars for $4999. well he probably just has one for that price and its probably a beater, not to mention all the fees and taxes invovled.

not sure about the whole student thing, students get enough free stuff already. :huh:

like what? higher tuition?

im in cali, so it makes sense to someone :(

man it's already so cheap out there. when i went to school i got, so many coupons, free this, show ur student id here, achedemic prices for software, student credit cards, etc. i do understand not having a lot of cash, but theres no shortage of free discouted stuff.

on the other hand joining the military, almost everyone on i know who has a family quaifies for welfare. imagine working full-time, have a spouse that works at least part-time and a kid and still qualifing for welfare.

tuition isnt cheap, and we're lookin at a 60% increase next year over here, its fun bein in debt... oh well, at least our governor can beat up yours lol :D

oh and we dont get coupons adn stuff, we get credit cards for "free" and get bills a week later, we get crappy housing... etc... anyways, lets not get into that, not like we can change it.

tuition isnt cheap, and we're lookin at a 60% increase next year over here, its fun bein in debt... oh well, at least our governor can beat up yours lol :D

oh and we dont get coupons adn stuff, we get credit cards for "free" and get bills a week later, we get crappy housing... etc... anyways, lets not get into that, not like we can change it.

i went to school in socal. $10-$13 a credit at the jr colleges. books are a mother, plus fees, but thats at least half some places.

no coupons? no student discounts at the places around campus? what an outrage, doesn't collegeclub.com exsit anymore?