My Video Card's DirectX Version?? What is?

So I updated to Windows 7 Pro and when I check dxdiag it says that i have dx11 even before I installed any kind of drivers or anything. This wouldn't be possible in any case cuz my GPU supports only 10.1 and not 11. So how do I REALLY see what DX I have, and would anybody be kind enough to pass me a link to somewhere, where I can download DX10 and install it so that I can be sure 100% that this is what I have.

Thx a lot.

It says DX11 in dxdiag because that is what you have. Remember? It's backwards compatible.

not sure I follow...how can I have dx11 if it's not supported by my GPU.

and also, in counter strike source and half-life 2 deathmatch it says dx9

I'm lost.

I'm lost.

DX controls more than your video card for starters. You an run an HD 5890 in XP and the card still supports DX11 though the OS will only have DX9.

I'm lost.

Thats because those games only support DX9 features so you can't enable DX10 in a game coded in DX9.

Honestly, this isn't important enough to understand so just trust us when we say DXDiag did not lie, you have DX11 and GU-Z did not lie in saying your video card only supports DX10 and older features.

Edited by WARDOZERX

I see, well I guess I'm ok then.

Let me try to explain. You have DX11 on the software side of things - every PC does. On the hardware side, however, you have DX10.1. This isn't a problem since DX11 is backwards compatible with previous versions (DX10.1 in this case), and will simply operate as DX10.1 in the games you play. However, your graphics card isn't the only thing holding back DX11, and in this case, Source does not work with DX11 or DX10, so the DX11 software on your computer (being backwards compatible) acts as DX9 while Source is running. Hope that made sense.

To address your confusion with windows reporting having DX11 before any driver install, Windows 7 comes natively with DX11 software (which, like others have said, supports the features of the previous vesions).

No matter what video card you stick in there, DXdiag will always report DX11, as that is the software version installed. You could have an ati 5870 or and ati Rage II (old school ftw) and it will still say DX11.

Let me try to explain. You have DX11 on the software side of things - every PC does. On the hardware side, however, you have DX10.1. This isn't a problem since DX11 is backwards compatible with previous versions (DX10.1 in this case), and will simply operate as DX10.1 in the games you play. However, your graphics card isn't the only thing holding back DX11, and in this case, Source does not work with DX11 or DX10, so the DX11 software on your computer (being backwards compatible) acts as DX9 while Source is running. Hope that made sense.

To address your confusion with windows reporting having DX11 before any driver install, Windows 7 comes natively with DX11 software (which, like others have said, supports the features of the previous vesions).

No matter what video card you stick in there, DXdiag will always report DX11, as that is the software version installed. You could have an ati 5870 or and ati Rage II (old school ftw) and it will still say DX11.

Ok, now I see. Thx for the replies guys.