Steam Comming to OSX!

greengiant912

As for mac mice... they still suck even today, they've improved a lot but they still suck compared to a $5 mouse at radioshack or best buy, but like someone else said, mac can use just about any kind of mouse so it's not a big deal.

Oh no doubt. I hate the Mighty Mouse and the Magic Mouse, while somewhat impressive, is ridiculously overpriced. If I were to ever get a Mac desktop I would definitely hook up a Razer or Logitech mouse to it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH man, this is GREAT news, I'm running out to the Apple store right now. I'm picking up a Mac Pro, 2.66 Ghz QUAD CORE with a GT120 Graphics !!!!

SHOULD BE AWESOME to game on and it's only $2,499.00 + Tax....Yeah you could build an i7/5870(2)/kicka$$ computer but this is an Apple......I'm out the door :lol:

EDIT: Dam almost blew it, just checked back on the Apple Store site and found out that doesn't come with a monitor. They have a GREAT 24" and it's only $899.00 + Tax more.

Grabbing my coat, feet don't fail me now!!!

Last EDIT: Just in case someone doesn't get my totally sarcastic post, I think $3635.00 worth of computer and monitor should be something really special and not just a name that provides a company like Apple with massive profit and the consumer with mediocure performance. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by RJR

If I recall the last time I checked the Steam forums there was a higher demand for a Linux client than there was for Mac. And I swore that Valve stated they had no intentions of ever making a client for any OS other than Windows.

Linux isn't really in my mind a average consumer Operating system, Its more of an enthusiast/server operating system. The Linux Fanbois will tell you otherwise, but seriously how many of our family members or friends that are not savoy with computers running Linux? Say what you wan't about Macs, but the truth is they are selling. I doubt anyone here is a real marketing guru, but Valve has their reasons for wanting to enter the Mac market.

Personally I think it is to beat Apple to the punch on digital distribution for video games. They don't want Apple to develop a part of iTunes that sells video games for mac.

Mac OS X is Unix based, which Linux is a free alternative to (obviously with a few changes). This could very well mean Linux clients soon too...

Mac OSX is closer to UNIX than Linux. Linux is UNIX like kernel, were MAC OSX is an UNIX kernel. Regardless you are right it could make the transition to Linux easier.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I am not going to tell you need to buy a Mac, personally I enjoy all operating systems, and I think its best especially if your going into IT like me to be familiar with all operating systems.

Mac OSX is closer to UNIX than Linux. Linux is UNIX like kernel, were MAC OSX is an UNIX kernel. Regardless you are right it could make the transition to Linux easier.

I honestly hope that's where they are going with it.. I'm sure to hear of a linux client soon I know it.

Edited by Compxpert

You talking about this 1 button mouse that came with the Mac Mini I am working on right now? Regardless on support for other USB mice, wouldn't the controls need to at least default to a 1-button system if new Macs come with them?

Sorry, but the MacMini doesn't come with a mouse. You may have purchased one along side of it, and if it was a "New" Mac then the leaves us with two possibilities.

Magic Mouse = A two button mouse, which is more akin to a notebooks trackpad.

Apple Mouse (aka Mighty Mouse) = A 4 button mouse. - I mistakenly gave it credit for a 5th button earlier.

Additionally, even the older 1 button mouse could preform a "right click" by pressing the control button while clicking. Granted, this isn't ideal for gaming. But I seriously doubt anyone that plans on gaming on a Mac would be using either of the Apple mice.

Officially announced today!

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/03...nline_play.html

Two big items...

- games are being natively ported over rather than requiring an emulator (i.e. Transgaming)

- Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge

Looks like my HL2 collection might see some revised action in a month. :D

- Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge

This is something I really like to see, I think this alone makes this transition to Mac possibly one of the greatest things to ever happen to gaming.

This is something I really like to see, I think this alone makes this transition to Mac possibly one of the greatest things to ever happen to gaming.

+1

this the opposite (and preferred) approach, that nintendo did with the wii. I think the user should have been able to show nintendo their proof of purchase or show them the game cartidge to void out the cost of RE-buying NES games or other old games for the emulator

Steam itself was one of the greatest things to ever happen to gaming. This is possible because of Steam, it's not one of the greatest things on its own.

+1

this the opposite (and preferred) approach, that nintendo did with the wii. I think the user should have been able to show nintendo their proof of purchase or show them the game cartidge to void out the cost of RE-buying NES games or other old games for the emulator

Not as easily done. How would they do that? Have people cut the UPCs off the retail boxes and ship them in? That would not only require that the person kept the original box, but it would also require Nintendo to hire employees to handle the processing (most likely outsourced). What Steam is doing is a no-brainer and a piece of cake because of the nature of Steam. The reason they're able to do this is the same reason you're able to install your games on fifty billion PCs...Steam is linked to your account, and your account houses all your purchases.

I just feel bad for anyone who has to rebuy their games years later when ninteendo already got their money.

How I think steam could be improved is I wish I could add my physical copies of games to my steam account instead of having a cache of their isos on my storage drive.