WhenKittensATK

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah, never even bothered with the multiplayer part of the game for two reasons:

1) The single player was merely COD4 1.1

2) No dedicated servers

Perhaps I missed out on the "game of the year" and the "best" multiplayer this side of COD4, but I seriously doubt it. This was perhaps the most half-hearted attempt at a game I've seen in a while. Can you spell map pack? Might as well have released a COD4 expansion, or at least called it one instead of pretending it was a second stand-alone game.

(And yes, I'm commenting quite late with things other people have probably already contributed. So sue me. The [subjective] facts are still the facts.)

You are now two pennies richer. Enjoy.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6257676.html?...adlines;title;1

The two devs created a new company called Respawn Entertainment. They said they were promised the MW brand, but I hope to god they don't make another with its bloated scoreboards from chaining instant kill killing streaks (no skills needed, just a few seconds of camping and knowing where to spam grenade launcher with One Man Army :P).

Anyways EA offered them a deal to distribute all their games and they would still own the IP of all the games they make.

Also, I believe about a week or two ago. Two other devs left IW, one was the multiplayer director and forgot who the other one was.

I get some payback for EA. EA's owned Visceral Games' (Dead Space and Dante's Inferno) two heads left EA to go to Activision. Now Visceral Games, just snagged Gordan Van Dyke from EA DICE (Transfered back to California) :D. All is good :P

Edited by Krazyxazn

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6257676.html?...adlines;title;1

The two devs created a new company called Respawn Entertainment. They said they were promised the MW brand, but I hope to god they don't make another with its bloated scoreboards from chaining instant kill killing streaks (no skills needed, just a few seconds of camping and knowing where to spam grenade launcher with One Man Army :P).

Anyways EA offered them a deal to distribute all their games and they would still own the IP of all the games they make.

Also, I believe about a week or two ago. Two other devs left IW, one was the multiplayer director and forgot who the other one was.

I get some payback for EA. EA's owned Visceral Games' (Dead Space and Dante's Inferno) two heads left EA to go to Activision. Now Visceral Games, just snagged Gordan Van Dyke from EA DICE (Transfered back to California) :D. All is good :P

EA finally has a CEO and management staff that is not so focused on Quantity, and more focused on Quality. Which is great news for gamers! Activision however has taken the reigns of being the publisher whom turns out sequel after sequel. Eventually they will notice their sales drop and the company will need to invest heavily in new IPs, which is what EA is currently doing.

The thing with making sequels to death like the current trend in the industry has proved is, sure you make money and your investors are happy but that is only a short term solution. The consumer base will get bored eventually. So you have to be very very careful not to release said sequel to soon after the last game. It makes the public anticipate it more, and the hype builds more.

Tonight for example we are likely to find out about the next Gears of War game from Cliffy B. on Jimmy Fallon. I think epic has the mind set, they waited just long enough to even announce that they are working on it.

There is another issue with Infinity Ward though. Activision has released a counter suit that claims that these boys tried to poach employees from Infinity Ward. Which I frankly doubt that they would do. Instead they know that their team will follow them to another studio. West and Zampella have been very smart about this, they have made no mention that any employee should leave the company.

Activision knows this, because they know the past of this team. They originally left EA because back then EA was Activision.. They know the history of the group, and they are affraid of losing the name "Infinity Ward", they will always own it yes, but the fans of this studio shows in the sales. Every IW game sells at least 2x more copies then another studio's COD games..

All I can say is I hope they can secure the rights to Modern Warfare, and make a true sequel to the first MW game. Because as what has come out in the court documents one can tell that Modern Warfare 2 was rushed as stated by West and Zampella, and they wanted to delay it to ensure quality... Something the game currently still struggles with its online multi-player months after being released.

All I can say is thank god Activision for now is letting Blizzard do their own thing. I personally think thats because its Blizzard that keeps the lights on, and Kotick's gulfstream fulled.

Oh yeah looks like the two are accepting Applications! :)http://respawn.com/

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/respawn.com

Even more IW staff members are leaving. Great job Activision, I can only imagine what that studio will produce next.
World of Warcraft: Modern Warfare?

some of those people posting over on ign are idiots. Complaining that MW3 will be ruined now. Melodramatic much? It takes more than 7 people to make a game.

Edited by bilcliff

some of those people posting over on ign are idiots. Complaining that MW3 will be ruined now. Melodramatic much? It takes more than 7 people to make a game.

I think Modern Warcraft would make for the best combination of those name. :D

I'm honestly kind of glad about all of this myself, maybe now we will see some quality games again instead of "year after year" titles.

You gotta realize that more people will likely be leaving the studio. I expect enough to put a serious dent on the game. Infinity Ward is a semi-small studio, they only have about 50-70 people working for the studio.

MW2 was ruined by Activisions greed, it could of been such a better game. But it is still plagued by bugs, exploits, and unbalanced gameplay.

Activision it's self has stated that they want to work on a broader model for Call of Duty. Which might not be limited to MMOs

http://investor.activision.com/releasedeta...eleaseID=448656

The company intends to expand the Call of Duty brand with the same focus seen in its Blizzard® Entertainment business unit. This will include a focus on high-margin digital online content and further the brand as the leading action entertainment franchise in new geographies, new genres and with new digital business models.
"In addition to continued catalog sales, new downloadable content from Infinity Ward and a new Call of Duty release, we are excited about the opportunity to bring the franchise to new geographies, genres and players.

Why does everyone want to have . with IW? Seriously, their games weren't that great. CoD4, OMG OMG SO AWESOME, not really. I found the maps were tiny, it was just M4 and AK in Hardcore and MP5 in regular. All the other guns were just garbage compared to those. (P90 was also alright in regular and hardcore). The story, it was pretty crappy too if you ask me. Everyone always bashes Treyarch, yet they gave you idiots what you wanted. Bigger maps, wasn't that a huge complaint in CoD4? Guess what CoD WaW has those. Its more fun to use a bolt than an assault rifle in every match. The story was also way better IMO. Maybe its just because I still enjoy WW2 shooters.

Oh yeah, btw, look up CoD7(I am pretty sure it will be made by Treyarch) guess what, dedicated servers are coming back. Seriously, stop loving IW. <_<

My boss knows the lead designer on the Activion side for MW2. It is clear they wanted change and Activision is big enough to find replacements. Could things have been settled better? I'm sure, but I really don't know. I don't know what their environment was like and why hell hit the fan. Maybe IW got too big for their britches. (breaking out the oldie phrases!)

People here keep thinking MW2 failed and thinking people are only buying it from name recognition alone, but most of my friends/co-workers playing never even played any of the previous incarnations before ...not to mention MW2 is still pretty damn high on the Amazon.com sales chart. Still #6 for PC sales despite its pathetic 2 star rating. :lol: There are much newer games out right now not doing well. And while sales figures aren't everything, they still point to trend. If it really failed as bad as people want to believe, we still wouldn't be talking about it right now. How many games have been released since MW2 that most of us have already forgotten about?

Anyway, I don't know any Activision people myself personally, but I doubt they are crying too hard. You don't make those kind of moves without knowing your are going to lose people to the competition. They probably don't want those people anyway as they probably had a sour outlook to begin with. The good employees will stay. Unless of course Activision is underpaying them then Respawn would probably know that.

Besides competition is freaking awesome for us, look how many of these offshoots actually make a good name for the themself. Tends to keep the bigger companies honest too, as not to lose to the people they hate.

This seems like a great change to me.