Sign in to follow this  
Lejaregg

New build *plug-in, no response*

Hey guys, I have a slight problem.

I'm putting together a build right not, and I have enough parts (with some older parts

I had) to actually run the computer.

The only problem is, when I have everything connected..

all my fans in my HAF 932 turn on(Blue LEDs and all),

GPU fan turn on,

CPU fan turn on,

my external harddrive even lights up with the extreme orange is does..

speaker light comes on..

but I don't hear the motherboard do that beep..

If there is a light on the motherboard somewhere, it's not on..

My monitor has no response whats-o-ever not even the "no signal"..

My monitor's stand-by light doesn't even switch from orange to blue like it does when

I use other computers with it(but it eventually switches back if that computer isn't working, if you know what I mean)

I felt the harddrive, I can't tell if it's running or not.. but even with a dead harddrive, my monitor

will still display BIOS right?

Clearly my PSU is not dead, because my fans turn on..

The build is:

COOLER MASTER HAF 932

ACER 19" LCD Flatscreen

GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4

CORSAIR DDR3 1600MHz 4GB RAM (2GB a stick)(2 sticks)

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition

CORSAIR TX750W Powersupply

BFG Nvidia 8500 GT (only in until I get the real GPU)

Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB HD

ASUS Quiet Track DVD/RW lightscribe drive.

Could it be my RAM? It says it can support up to 1866MHz on everything I look up about it but it never specifies the

different DDR3 speeds you can put into the slots.

I don't know what the problem is..

I'm thinking it might be the GPU.. yet, I doubt it.

If you have anything to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having a family friend IT dude come over tomorrow, and he might help me.. Idk.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Ok, here's what I'd do.

Read the manual...yeah yeah... It'll tell you what beeps mean what, debug LEDs to look for, etc.

Start pulling things out. At this point it's a process of elimination. First, just unplug the unnecessary stuff - hard drive and burner. If it works, well...hooray! If not, continue on. I'd pull a DIMM of RAM next (I'd worry more about voltage required than speed). See if it'll give you anything. After that, yank the graphics card. It should beep if it's missing a display adapter. You can try the other 8500GT if you'd like. Be sure to try both ports on the graphics card.

What you've done is kinda the opposite of how I like to build a computer. I assume nothing works properly until I've proven it to work through vigorous testing. I'd much rather figure out that the motherboard isn't working before I put everything in the case and do all the tedious wire management. Others may agree or disagree. :)

^ Nope, I agree totally with the above - assume nothing until you know it works for sure :)

As stated above you need to strip the system back and work through and yes you can get to the BIOS without a hard drive attached to the board. I would pull everything out and work on the bench. Clear your CMOS and remove the battery - it should tell you how to clear the CMOS in the manual, if you don't have it go online to the board website and find one.

At this point attach only what you need, ie. CPU and fan, 1 stick of RAM and the GPU - nothing else and see if it will boot. If it will go into the BIOS and load the default settings, then start testing individual parts etc. Use Memtest86+ (this is free open source software - don't pay via Memtest.com!) to test the RAM.

If it won't boot, then you need to test the parts individually until you identity what works and what does not. That should be a start for you :)

Edited by Great_Gig

Process of eliminating everything and adding connection by connection,

piece by piece.. the result ? 8-pin connector not connected.

Please! Laugh at me, because.. I feel quite stupid myself!

Now there's a new problem though?..

I get passed the BIOS picture thing..

and it just says Loading Operating System.....

lol.

Reasoning?

Scratch that,

I'm sorry - I should have done stuff before I asked.

I can now get passed that message.. just not..

it does that - would you like to boot system normally or in safe mode.

I've done both:

Safe mode- I get to log in screen but my mouse and keyboard shut off.

Regular - I do the Windows loading screen before you log in - and then after 20secs or so..

Blue screen of death, then resetting of computer.

I'm trying to reformat now, hopefully that fixes it?

Thanks a lot guys! If

I need further help, I'll switch to software section

of the forum.

Thanks..!

Lejaregg (not Joe ;D )

Did you install windows from scratch?

I'd recommend running memtest86+ from the CD, then install whatever flavor of Windows you're using ATM (which is it, by the way?).

Changing a large amount of hardware while retaining the same windows install may prove to be much more than you're bargaining for. I've done a processor and motherboard, but I had to uninstall and disable a couple things preemptively. The only difference between my doing so and yours is that I went from a SLI-D to a SLI-DR expert (not much of a change).

I had windows on my HDD before I built this PC but I reinstalled it from scratch. windows is waaaaay too complicated to work well with entirely new hardware. always go for a clean break, baking everything up to a portable HDD first.

I'd recommend running memtest86+ from the CD, then install whatever flavor of Windows you're using ATM (which is it, by the way?).

Changing a large amount of hardware while retaining the same windows install may prove to be much more than you're bargaining for. I've done a processor and motherboard, but I had to uninstall and disable a couple things preemptively. The only difference between my doing so and yours is that I went from a SLI-D to a SLI-DR expert (not much of a change).

Yeah I went from what I have in my signature to

what I've listed above..

right now I'm reformatting my windows xp 32bit (yes I know.. crappy)

but I'm getting my version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit tomorrow..

if not.. impatience will ggrow and I'll probably

hackintosh it or put ubuntu 64bit.

For now I'm reinstalling 32 bit so I can

search the web other then on this piece of crap

laptop I'm on lol.

Thanks though man,

I appreciate your help, it's

definitely helped me.

Lejaregg

Yeah I went from what I have in my signature to

what I've listed above..

right now I'm reformatting my windows xp 32bit (yes I know.. crappy)

but I'm getting my version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit tomorrow..

if not.. impatience will ggrow and I'll probably

hackintosh it or put ubuntu 64bit.

For now I'm reinstalling 32 bit so I can

search the web other then on this piece of crap

laptop I'm on lol.

Thanks though man,

I appreciate your help, it's

definitely helped me.

Lejaregg

the problem with changing everything out and just using your OS installed drive on the new system is that the drivers are all for your old system and motherboard...and there's a bunch of them that arent very compatible with the new stuff. sometimes it works sometimes it does not it all depends on how similar to the old board the new one was. When i change out a motherboard i either uninstall EVERY driver the motherboard uses and all drivers of older parts im not reusing or just do a clean new scratch install. (i prefer the fresh install myself) and then start putting on all the old stuff i had before.